subscribe to the RSS Feed

Friday, August 21, 2026

PSNI RETALIATE AFTER IRA ATTACK

Posted by admin on November 8, 2014

There were clashes in the Creggan area of Derry this week following an attack by the ‘new IRA’ in which an armoured police patrol was struck by a mortar rocket. After keeping away from the area for almost 24 hours, the PSNI police were accused of engaging in collective punishment with a heavy-handed “evacuation” and gratuitous assaults on local residents. Sunday’s attack, which happened in the Creggan Heights, involved an “EFP” — an explosively formed projectile, powered by Semtex explosive and fired by command wire. The device directly hit a PSNI vehicle and damaged one of the rear doors. Derry PSNI chief Steven Cargin said the device was “substantial and sophisticated”. In a comment on Twitter, Sinn Fein Deputy First Minister Martin McGuinness said it was a “futile act” which would “achieve nothing for those responsible”. It was the latest incident in an escalation of activity by the new IRA, which is currently strongest in the northwest. Two other attacks in Derry and Strabane over the past three weeks have used a pressure plate, trip wires and a command wire. A warning issued to civilians last week not to allow themselves by used as ‘proxies’ by the PSNI was also seen as significant. In a further statement this week, the same group warned people to stay away from Crown force targets. They statement read: “IRA volunteers struck a PSNI vehicle with an EFP mortar style device triggered by a command wire. “Despite being heavily-armed PSNI officers fled following a direct hit. The attack further demonstrated the increasingly sophistication and ingenuity of the IRA volunteers in developing these devices.” The group said they remained committed to attacks against British state forces and their agents in Ireland. “Britain will continue to pay the price for her illegal occupation of the six counties and the continued denial of national self determination. “We want to take this opportunity to remind civilians to keep their distance travelling near PSNI and British Army vehicles.” The ‘new IRA’ statement also rejected Sinn Fein’s political condemnations, and criticised nationalist politicians who took part in Remembrance Day commemorations for British armed forces this weekend. “The Irish people will rightly contrast this condemnation with the participation of the politicians at the British Army commemorations this weekend in Derry and elsewhere,” they said. “The same British Army that slaughtered our people, comrades and communities to occupy our country.” The seriousness with which the Crown forces are taking the situation was displayed in a highly aggressive security operation in the Creggan on Monday night. The PSNI entered the area in armoured vehicles and immediately ordered an evacuation, using CS spray and direct physical violence. Chaos erupted after the PSNI attempted to clear residents from their homes and began arresting all those who resisted. One woman who was remonstrating with a member of the PSNI was seen to be punched violently by another, without warning. A mini riot broke out, and a small number petrol bombs were thrown by local youths. Independent councillor Gary Donnelly, a leading member of the 32 County Sovereignty Movement, said the trouble was a reaction to the PSNI handling of the situation. Mr Donnelly said that anger was “palpable” amongst residents when the PSNI moved in, an estimated 13 hours after the bomb attack. In a Facebook message, he said: “Palpable anger in Creggan tonight as locals are beaten, gassed and arrested by the RUC. Not a politician or community worker in sight. “Local man had his front door kicked off its hinges and arrested for refusing to leave his home. Local shop owner trailed out of his shop and forced to close, another resident assaulted and threatened with arrest for parking his car outside his home. “Tonight, women and children assaulted and gassed after armed police mounted footpaths in armoured vehicles. Community policing at its best.” Mr Donnelly said politicians and media had become “very one sided” and were ignoring the actions of the state. He said: “Go to Creggan now and see where the anger is directed towards. Beatings, house raids, ‘stop and search’ are being ignored.” Mr Donnelly was also asked if he would condemn the mortar attack Sunday night. He said: “I am a Republican and I am critical of the state. There’s plenty of people out there who will condemn it. I won’t. “Condemnation won’t change anything. The SDLP are hypocrites, (Mark) Durkan praised the bravery of British troops in Afghanistan and Iraq, as do the Unionists. “Sinn Fein have not condemned the PIRA and have representatives who have carried out violence. I never hear the press asking them to apologise or condemn their action, because they only oppose armed struggle now from a strategic point of view, not a moral one.”

1916 Societies Challenge Irish News On Attempts To Normalise Britain’s War Machine In Ireland

Posted by Jim on November 6, 2014

Aidan Ferguson National Organiser of the 1916 Societies

 

Several editions of the Irish News, from as far back as the 2nd October, have carried a perturbing half-page advert for the purposes of recruitment to the British Royal Navy, an alarming development symptomatic of the normalisation process that has seeped into almost every sector of society over the course of recent times.

Given the black history of Britain’s armed forces, not only in Ireland but around the world – from Iraq to Libya to Syria in recent times alone – this represents a most troubling decision on behalf of the Irish News. To think that one of Ireland’s largest ‘nationalist’ dailies would feel comfortable in assisting the recruitment process for the killers of the British military shows just where things are at in terms of a willingness to paper over the crimes of the past for the sake of political expediency on the part of those holding positions of great importance in society today.

One need have looked no further than the following page of that October 2nd edition for a reminder of the chilling reality of British violence in Ireland, where an article by resident journalist Connla Young drew attention to the ongoing attempts to cover up the summary execution of eight IRA Volunteers and a passing civilian at Loughall in 1987, by those who claimed to be upholding law and order in Ireland, by elements of that same military apparatus appealing for recruits in the pages of the Irish News.

And by no means was this an isolated incident in the long and troubled history of the six-counties. From the earliest days of the Troubles – through internment and the Ballymurphy massacre, Bloody Sunday, plastic bullets, shoot-to-kill, the arming and directing of pro-state death-squads and their murderous campaign against the nationalist community – the blood-stained hand of the British military-machine has been there for all to see from beginning to end. Its record in Ireland is one of savage murder, no matter how some may pretend otherwise, and for this Britain has yet to take responsibility or be held to account.

That the Irish News would play any part in encouraging the youth of our country to entertain thoughts of a career with those who’s speciality is killing for empire, that it would assist those who would have our young folk go off and invade other countries – as our own – to serve the interests of British imperialism, is a disturbing development and in truth an indictment on those who agreed to such an ad being carried.

Clearly the advertising policy of the Irish News is in need of urgent review. An advertising campaign for Britain’s terror machine has no place in the pages of the Irish News given the legacy of its involvement in Ireland, as elsewhere around the world – a legacy of torture, abuse and even murder itself. The youth of our country deserve better, should have no part to play in any of that and it is wrong to encourage them otherwise.

Those Who Preach Unity Must Demonstrate A Viable Strategy Beyond Subservience To The Unionist Veto

Posted by Jim on November 4, 2014

Patrick Roche of the 1916 Societies, at Queen’s University Belfast with a piece that featured on the website of the Societies.

Sean Fearon, Chairman of QUB Sinn Fein, when recently discussing the proposed referendum on Irish Unity at Queen’s, insinuates that the choice facing us all is between an all-Ireland republic and an ‘unaccountable and unelected government in Westminster’.

While seeing nothing wrong with that analysis in itself, it’s somewhat bizarre to hear it directly from someone aligned to Provisional Sinn Fein. His words contradict his party’s position that the Stormont Assembly represents a meaningful change in the power structure of British rule in Ireland and how that rule is administered, conflicting with Sinn Fein’s core belief that the 1998 dispensation relegated Britain to an outside role in the political process, with power transferred to a locally-elected Executive. Some one of the two then is being disingenuous for both positions are irreconcilable – it simply can’t be both.

While in agreement with the idea all and any debate on Irish Unity should be seen as positive, nevertheless it’s incumbent on Sinn Fein, whether at QUB or elsewhere, to map out how Irish reunification might be achieved given their acceptance of the ‘unity by consent’ model as set out in the 1998 legislation and the ‘triple lock’ contained within. Schedule 1 of that legislation gives the British Secretary of State a supreme veto over Irish self-determination, awarding him or her exclusive rights to determine if and when a border poll may be called, to decide on its wording and to decide who may or may not vote in any such poll. Indeed Britain clearly states it will only call a poll if and when there is satisfaction as to its outcome.

Even after all of that, any decision is legally non-binding and subject to the further assent of the British Parliament at Westminster, a process effectively barring movement towards ending partition without British agreement, with Irish Unity no more than an aspiration with little prospect of being physically realised.

We in the 1916 Societies believe instead that the Irish people have the absolute and sovereign right to determine the future of this island and hold that national self-determination in the form of a singular all-Ireland referendum – One Ireland-One Vote – will give every Irish citizen an equal say on the vexed issue of partition and speed the formation of a sovereign, independent, unitary state to replace its failed political arrangements. Recent developments in both Scotland and Catalonia demonstrate that such a referenda-type initiative can offer a credible and democratic alternative to the failed border poll strategy promoted by Sean Fearon and those in the Sinn Fein leadership from whom he takes direction.

A genuine national debate on the future of our country is required rather than the type of disingenuous stunt we see with this exercise at Queen’s, itself an effort to distract from the fact Sinn Fein has no credible strategy for Irish Unity, its subservience to mechanisms for constitutional change as defined and controlled by an ‘unaccountable British government at Westminster’ the biggest end of the problem.

AOH member Vic Sackett’s take on Hart’s statement to the Irish National Caucus

Posted by Jim on October 30, 2014

In line with traditional Irish Republican principles in 1984 Gary Hart said; “All electoral initiatives up until that point had failed because they have not taken into account the democratic wishes of the people of Ireland as a whole. The best way, and in fact, the only way to establish a lasting peace is within a democratic All-Ireland context”.

Last week he is quoted as saying “My views, expressed three decades ago, emphasized the democratic decision-making process in determining the future of Northern Ireland: that is, they should be free to decide their political affiliation and destiny according to majority will”.

In this last statement Hart is trying to cleverly re-interpret for us his 1984 statement which is very clear in its intention.
To now say “they should be free to decide their political affiliation and destiny according to majority will”, subtly transposes the object of the democratic decision making process from  Ireland as a whole  to the  political affiliation  of the six counties. He is now restricting the “democratic decision-making process  to within the gerrymandered artificial border which was determined by the British to guarantee a British outcome in any future poll. This is a complete reversal of his 1984 statements.

He is now defending the British partition which suppressed then and still suppresses now, the 32 county republic established by majority-will as a result of the ALL-Ireland British administered elections of 1918.

Senator Hart was correct in 1984 in advocating true democracy for all of Ireland because the British partition of Ireland had negated the Irish democratic will. Although he is still using the terms “democracy” and “majority will” he is clearly siding with the British Empire’s re-definition of democracy which has since 1998 become politically correct given the support of Irish leaders who once sat in republican seats but now sit in unionist seats.

The lesson here is that majority-will is acceptable when the outcome is favorable to the British but not acceptable when the outcome is favorable to the Irish.

What has not changed since 1984 however, is “The best way, and in fact, the only way to establish a lasting peace is within a democratic All-Ireland context”, which was also one of the suggestions of the 1984 New Ireland Forum for peace.

Patrick Pearse said it another way; “Ireland unfree will never be at peace”.

What Ireland needs now in order to establish a lasting peace in a true democratic 32 county republic is for Americans to support Hart’s 1984 traditional definition of democracy not the gerrymandered British colonial definition.

 

 
In line with traditional Irish Republican principles in 1984 Gary Hart said; “All electoral initiatives up until that point had failed because they have not taken into account the democratic wishes of the people of Ireland as a whole. The best way, and in fact, the only way to establish a lasting peace is within a democratic All-Ireland context”.

Last week he is quoted as saying “My views, expressed three decades ago, emphasized the democratic decision-making process in determining the future of Northern Ireland: that is, they should be free to decide their political affiliation and destiny according to majority will”.

In this last statement Hart is trying to cleverly re-interpret for us his 1984 statement which is very clear in its intention.
To now say “they should be free to decide their political affiliation and destiny according to majority will”, subtly transposes the object of the democratic decision making process from  Ireland as a whole  to the  political affiliation  of the six counties. He is now restricting the “democratic decision-making process  to within the gerrymandered artificial border which was determined by the British to guarantee a British outcome in any future poll. This is a complete reversal of his 1984 statements.

He is now defending the British partition which suppressed then and still suppresses now, the 32 county republic established by majority-will as a result of the ALL-Ireland British administered elections of 1918.

Senator Hart was correct in 1984 in advocating true democracy for all of Ireland because the British partition of Ireland had negated the Irish democratic will. Although he is still using the terms “democracy” and “majority will” he is clearly siding with the British Empire’s re-definition of democracy which has since 1998 become politically correct given the support of Irish leaders who once sat in republican seats but now sit in unionist seats.

The lesson here is that majority-will is acceptable when the outcome is favorable to the British but not acceptable when the outcome is favorable to the Irish.

What has not changed since 1984 however, is “The best way, and in fact, the only way to establish a lasting peace is within a democratic All-Ireland context”, which was also one of the suggestions of the 1984 New Ireland Forum for peace.

Patrick Pearse said it another way; “Ireland unfree will never be at peace”.

What Ireland needs now in order to establish a lasting peace in a true democratic 32 county republic is for Americans to support Hart’s 1984 traditional definition of democracy not the gerrymandered British colonial definition.

Vic Sackett

Indos Skeleton In the Cupboard

Posted by admin on October 29, 2014

by Gregg Sheridan.wordpress.com

Over the course of recent weeks the Independent Group has unsurprisingly been the main media outlet seeking to politicise the allegations of abuse made by Mairia Cahill and turn them into an attack on Gerry Adams, Sinn Féin and the Republican struggle.
They have accused Republicans of “cover-up”, they have accused republicans of not co-operating with the police, of trying to prevent an abuse victim going to the police.
Yesterday they launched an attack on a Guardian journalist for having the audacity to question the deliberate omission of Mairia Cahill’s role as a senior member of anti-Policing dissident faction RNU from the Spotlight programme.
Throughout this one of the main journalists involved in this campaign has been long time Shinner hater Ellis O’Hanlon.
Maybe now the time has come to cast a little light into the skeletons in Ellis’ cupboard.
There is of course nothing worse than a hypocrite.
Ellis by her own admission (19/10/14) knew about these allegations of abuse from at least the year 2000.
What did she do??
Did she go to the police??
Did she go to social services??
No she didn’t, the very things she then castigates others for doing.
This law abiding Independent Group hack seemed content in the knowledge that the alleged abuser had been “put out”
No concerns about by whom or to where, no not for Ellis, yet she has no issue now castigating and vilifying others for doing exactly what her own family did.
Now let’s look a little further into Ellis’ cupboard to see what else can be turned up by this holier than thou Independent Group employee.
What about Ellis’ brother Marty?? What ever happened to him??
Yes Marty the one who jumped bail on IRA charges in 1977 and went on the run.
Surely Ellis and her family wouldn’t have been in contact with Marty over the years he was wanted by the police in the north??
Surely Ellis being the law abiding Irish Independent hack would have passed such information on to the authorities??
Well did you Ellis?? Or where you happy to conceal Marty’s whereabouts from the then RUC??
Withholding information I believe is the legal term.
What about when abuse allegations of abuse were made in your own family.
What was your response then??
Did you support the alleged victim?
Or did you side with the man accused??
You see Ellis people have had enough of your lies. Many people know the truth about you and your past.
Maybe you have done a good job so far hiding the dark bits of your past from your bosses in the Indo, but these things have a habit of coming back to bite.