subscribe to the RSS Feed

Wednesday, August 19, 2026

Clashes after PSNI (RUC) block anti-internment march

Posted by Jim on August 10, 2015

There were disturbances in north Belfast this afternoon after a civil
rights march against internment was prevented from marching through the
city.

The demonstration, organised by the broad-based Anti-Internment League
(AIL), was blocked from leaving the Ardoyne/Marrowbone area by the PSNI.

In the city centre, several hundred loyalists planning to attack the
parade had been allowed to gather. At one point the loyalists threw
fireworks at the assembled media and towards police.

When the parade was stopped, marchers stood holding placards in front of
heavily armed riot police. Speakers also delivered speeches via loud
hailers at the PSNI lines.

The demonstration then returned to march inside the nationalist area
before dispersing peacefully.

Some two hours later, PSNI vehicles which had remained at
Oldpark/Rosapenna area came under sporadic attack from local youths, and
a small number of stones, bottles and petrol bombs were thrown. The PSNI
responded with water cannon before eventually withdrawing.

The AIL said the intervention of the state this afternoon “served to
confirm the Republican analysis that anyone who opposes the status quo
is a second class citizen in the eyes of Britain” and the Stormont
administration.

They said unlike the sectarian parades organised by loyalists, they had
not marched “for marching’s sake”, and their goal of highlighting the
continuing internment policy of Britain and the 26 County administration
had been successful.

“Mainstream media outlets have been forced to confront the reality that
republicans endure as a result of unjust incarceration”, they said, “not
to mention the draconian conditions and torture strategy within
Maghaberry and Hydebank”.

The decision to restrict the protest to an earlier time on Sunday
morning was blamed by the marchers on city centre business interests,
and there were suggestions that future applications to protest would be
made for a Saturday.

The AIL thanked all those who travelled for the event.

“All march participants behaved peacefully and with dignity when facing
down the armed wing of the State, before we took the responsible
decision to march back into the Ardoyne area, avoiding a flashpoint of
the PSNI’s own making.”

Leave a comment, and if you'd like your own picture to show up next to your comments, go get a gravatar!

You must be logged in to post a comment.

home | top