subscribe to the RSS Feed

Thursday, August 20, 2026

End of immunity for 1 Para: Bloody Sunday troops face murder arrests 41 years after massacre

Posted by Jim on January 29, 2015

  • Twelve-year Saville Inquiry concluded murdered protestors were unarmed
  • Soldiers could face murder, attempted murder and criminal injury charges for deaths which occurred in 1972

 

As many as 20 retired British soldiers could face being arrested for murder in connection with the Bloody Sunday shootings of 1972.

Attempted murder and criminal injury charges could also be brought against the men, most of whom are now in their sixties and seventies.

The soldiers face questioning under criminal caution for their involvement in the incident which killed 14 Catholic civil rights protestors in Londonderry, Ireland.

An armed soldier attacks a protestor on Bloody Sunday when British Paratroopers shot dead 14 civilians on a civil rights march in Derry City

An armed soldier attacks a protestor on Bloody Sunday when British Paratroopers shot dead 14 civilians on a civil rights march in Derry City

As many as 20 British Paratroopers could face murder charges for the deaths of Irish protestors on Bloody Sunday in 1972

As many as 20 British Paratroopers could face murder charges for the deaths of Irish protestors on Bloody Sunday in 1972

The development comes three years after a £200m inquiry by Lord Saville into the shootings produced its report based on 12 years of investigation.

Its findings concluded that all those shot by paratroopers during the march in the Bogside area of Londonderry were unarmed, rendering their deaths ‘unjustified and unjustifiable’.

 

The judge added the army had lost control of the situation which is known as one of the most poignant incidents of the Troubles.

The Ministry of Defence has started sourcing legal representatives on behalf of the soldiers, who have never been formally interviewed by police in relation to the shootings.

Colonel Edward Loden, who commanded the unit involved in the attack, was killed earlier this year in Kenya.

Loden was exonerated by the Saville Inquiry into the killings, which said that he did not realise his soldiers might be firing at people who did not pose a threat.

A source close to the case told The Sunday Times: ‘It is possible that some of the soldiers will be prosecuted’, adding that action would be ‘imminent’.

The Police Service of Northern Ireland however said the case could take a little longer.

A spokesman said: ‘Preliminary work has begun into what will be a lengthy and complex investigation into the events of January 30, 1972.

‘For the investigation to be as comprehensive and effective as possible, police will be asking for public support in the form of witnesses who gave evidence to the Saville inquiry.’

The representative also revealed detectives would be prohibited from including Saville testimony to pursue criminal charges.

 

Leave a comment, and if you'd like your own picture to show up next to your comments, go get a gravatar!

You must be logged in to post a comment.

home | top