Martin Corey released from prison
Posted by Jim on January 15, 2014
The prominent Irish republican, Martin Corey, has been released after almost four years in prison without trial.
He had been held in Maghaberry jail since April 2010 without any charges being brought against him, after he was deemed to be a risk to the public.
The Republican Sinn Féin member is a convicted double murderer.
Corey was originally sentenced to life in prison in 1973 for his part in the IRA murders of two police officers, but was released on licence in 1992.
He was re-arrested at his home in Lurgan, County Armagh, on 16 April 2010 and had been in custody since that date.
‘Unspecified allegations’
He was told he was being sent back to jail because he was considered a risk to the public, but at the time neither Corey, or his legal team, were told why the authorities believed he posed a threat.
Former Northern Ireland Secretary of State Shaun Woodward had ordered his prison recall on the basis of “closed material” and unspecified allegations of involvement with dissident republicans.
Corey’s supporters claimed he was being interned without trial and launched a campaign to secure his release.
Last May, his lawyers said they would challenge his detention in the European court.
Corey was released from custody on Wednesday evening on the instructions of Secretary of State for Northern Ireland Theresa Villiers.
‘Political embarrassment’
He left Maghaberry prison via a back entrance in an unmarked van.
It is understood the conditions of his release include a ban on speaking to the media.
Members of the Free Martin Corey Campaign have told the BBC they had concerns about the manner of his release.
A campaign spokesperson, Cait Trainor, said: “It is clear the continued imprisonment of Martin Corey was a political embarrassment to the Northern Ireland Office and he was released in a way that would ensure minimum publicity.”
—
Sandy Boyer