subscribe to the RSS Feed

Saturday, August 22, 2026

UVF must be ‘faced down’ over violence, marches – Sinn Fein

Posted by Jim on October 7, 2013

Sinn Fein First Minister Martin McGuinness has challenged unionists to  confront the paramilitary UVF in east Belfast, who he accused of being  closely linked to the anti-Catholic Orange Order.    He was speaking out amid increasing violence by the loyalist  organisation, including the shooting of a woman six times last week in  an apparent revenge attack.    Mr McGuinness said that had republicans been involved in the gun attack  on 24-year-old Jemma McGrath last Wednesday there would not have been  silence from unionist ranks in the assembly.    Citing his own condemnation of republicans in the past, he said there  was a need to “stand by the agreements that we have made”.    “It is about the commitment of all of us to face down violent  extremists, whether they be so-called dissident republicans or extreme  loyalists,” Mr McGuinness said.    “That is the test for this assembly and that is the test for this  executive and I think thus far serious questions have to be asked about  the commitment to stand by the PSNI.”    Mr McGuinness again said the Orange Order and the PUP (Progressive  Unionist Party) were “indistinguishable” from the UVF in north Belfast.    In response, an Orange Order spokesman rejected the comments.  He said  were a “cynical attempt to increase tensions”. The PUP claimed the  “unity of purpose” among unionists over flags and parades had “unnerved”  Sinn Fein.    But links between the organisations appeared to be in evidence again  this week as masked paramilitaries attempted to march into a nationalist  area of north Belfast to ‘complete’ a July 12th Orange Order parade.    Repeated attempts to stage a sectarian parade through Ardoyne and other  nationalist areas has been refused by the Parades Commission since the  summer.    Members of all three organisations were also busy last weekend when they  joined thousands of other hardline unionists and loyalists to mark the  founding of the UVF in west Belfast.    Last weekend the Orange Order again sought permission to allow a  loyalist parade through Ardoyne this Saturday — as a precondition for  future talks.  But this was again refused by the Parades Commission.    North Belfast Sinn Fein assembly member Gerry Kelly said the Orange  Order’s so-called ‘Twaddell initiative’ — named after the ten-week old  loyalist encampment at the interface between the two communities — was  an attempt to undermine the Parades Commission.    “The Orange Order has announced its intentions through the media without  discussing things with or providing prior notification… If they really  wanted to assist community relations or the Haass process an initiative  might be to move their protest off the interface at Twaddell,” he said.    “What needs to happen is direct dialogue, without preconditions in  place, between the local residents and the Orange Order.”    The Greater Ardoyne Residents’ Collective also denounced the idea “as  there is nothing cultural or religious about sectarian marchers  demanding to coat-trail through our community where they are clearly not  welcome,” they said.    “Any attempt to force them upon greater Ardoyne will be resisted by any  means necessary.”

Leave a comment, and if you'd like your own picture to show up next to your comments, go get a gravatar!

You must be logged in to post a comment.

home | top