British torture base revealed
Posted by Jim on August 11, 2013
The location of a secret camp used to torture 14 victims of internment,
long kept secret by the British government, has finally been exposed.
The Pat Finucane Centre said it had found documents which show that the
location of the torture centre was at Ballykelly in County Derry, now a
British Army base.
One of the so-called 14 ‘hooded men’ held there says further
investigation is needed into why the British government failed to reveal
its true location when it gave evidence to the European Court of Human
Rights (ECHR) in the 1970s.
The 26-County government is also being asked to investigate why the
existence of the base was kept hidden for so long.
In January 1978 the European Court of Human Rights found that the
British government was guilty of subjecting 14 men to the inhumane and
degrading treatment after they had been subjected to controversial deep
interrogation techniques. This included having had hoods placed over
their heads and forced to stand spread-eagled against a wall for seven
days with little or no food, water or sleep.
It has now emerged that preparations for the use of deep interrogation
began six months before interment, when in April 1971, the British
Army’s Joint Services Interrogation Wing (JSIW) began training RUC
Special Branch officers in Belfast.
The interrogations were to be conducted by Special Branch, with JSIW
officers providing ‘technical’ advice.
On August 11 then Stormont Prime Minister Brian Faulkner authorized the
transfer of 12 detainees to a secret interrogation site, now known to be
Ballykelly, under the Special Powers Act.
The deep interrogation was conducted by 20 RUC Special Branch officers,
12 JSIW advisers, and 26 RUC guards.
Throughout the seven day interrogation the detainees, were hooded,
forced to constantly stand spread eagled against a wall, were deprived
of sleep, bread and water and subjected to ‘white noise’.
Forty years on the 14 detainees have still not been officially informed
where they were interrogated.
Jim Auld was a 21-year-old dental technician at the time he was interned
and subjected to the special interrogation techniques.
“Officially they said I was made to stand up against the wall for 42 and
a half hours but that was nonsense. We were there against the wall
morning, noon and night for the seven days. There was no break at all.”
Outlining how ‘white noise’ was used to disorientate the detainees, he
explained:
“At the beginning there was a hissing sound in the background. To be
truthful in the beginning I hadn’t thought an awful lot of it, but after
a few hours it increased in volume and when you were standing against
the wall it became the centre of your world. It penetrated your brain
because you couldn’t think of anything else. It was a high pitch hissing
sound but it became all encompassing. It took everything. You couldn’t
think.”
The use of deep interrogation techniques was only officially brought to
an end after one of the detainees, Paddy Joe McClean, succeeded in
smuggling out a note from Crumlin Road jail to Cardinal Conway, who
immediately flew to London and confronted Prime Minister Ted Heath.
Following the allegations of torture the Dublin government took a case
to the European Commission on Human Rights, which found the London
government guilty of torture.
That judgement was appealed by the British government and in 1978 the
European Court of Human Rights ruled that while the British government
was not guilty of torture, it had subjected the 14 interrogatees to
inhumane and degrading treatment.
The use of torture is acknowledged as a low point in Britain’s
occupation in the north of Ireland, and its exposure marked a turning
point.
Questioned whether he had ever fully recovered from the mental and
physical effects suffered during deep sensory interrogation at
Ballykelly, Mr Auld says:
“I certainly haven’t got over it. There’s others who may be in a better
position. I have been able to control it.
“The difficulty is that every year from it happened there is an
anniversary there and it brings back very painful memories. This is the
only time of year I’m willing to talk about it and for many, many years
I wouldn’t talk about it because it was too painful.
“It stressed me very much for a long period of time. As the years have
gone on I’ve learned to control that stress and one of the main reasons
why I would talk about it now is to expose the British government for
what they’ve done on its citizens, but also to expose what other
countries, particularly the Americans, have been doing because they’ve
been doing exactly the same thing. They may have changed some of the
techniques but the effects on individuals are exactly the same,
particularly people who they’ve kept in Guantanamo or Abu Ghraib.”
FIVE TECHNIQUES
In a confidential memo, dated October 1971, the British army’s Director
General of Intelligence, Harold J. Maguire, states that the five
techniques of sensory deprivation interrogation used against the
Ballykelly detainees had previously been used against prisoners in
British camps in Malaysia, Kenya, Cyprus, Brunei and Korea.
Despite Ballykelly being the only location where the detainees were
subjected to deep interrogation methods, its use was never disclosed to
the ECHR. It was long believed that the men were held at Palace
Barracks near Holywood and Ballykinler in County Down.
Another memo marked ‘For UK Eyes Only’, outlines the public defence
which the government should take to defend its use of hooding, white
noise, sleep, food and sensory deprivation on the detainees.
One senior army officer absurdly claimed that most of the detainees had
wanted to keep hoods _on_ their heads for seven days “quite voluntarily”
and described the sensory deprivation suffered by the detainees as an
advantageous “spin-off”.
Despite previous assurances that the detainees had been allowed regular
sleeps during the seven day interrogations, the confidential papers
instead reveal that in “general” it was only when a prisoner had begun
“cooperating” with interrogators that was he allowed to sleep.
“However if a man was giving a lot of information and there was more to
come the interrogator would want to continue probing rather than let him
off the hook at that stage. In some cases an interrogatee could last for
a couple of days without sleep.”
The British memos confirm six of the detainees were forced to spend in
excess of 30 hours “on the wall” – standing hooded, in a stress position
against a wall. One detainee spent 49.5 hours “on wall”.
The uncovered evidence contradicts information provided to the European
Commission for Human Rights. Such information was also not disclosed to
either the Compton or Parker inquiries of the Westminster parliament.