subscribe to the RSS Feed

Sunday, August 23, 2026

PAROLE COMMISSIONERS STONEWALLING Fr. Mc Manus on the Gratuitous Mistreatment of Marian Price

Posted by Jim on December 17, 2012

 

 I came to America forty years ago. One of the early protests I helped to organize was outside the United Nations – to protest the inhumane and racist mistreatment of the Price sisters imprisoned in England. The late Paul Dwyer and I spoke. The other speaker was the father of Marian and Dolours, Albert, whom we had brought out from Belfast. For years later I would visit Albert when I went home to Ireland. And now, after all these years, I am protesting the mistreatment of Marian Price. This is the sort of thing that for centuries has ensured Irish-Americans retain an ongoing visceral fury at British injustice. The British establishment professes bewilderment at the “ intransigence” of Irish-Americans — that they are “still going on about The Famine, etc.” Well, for a current explanation for our fury, look no further than the mistreatment of Marian Price — made all the more outrageous since it is happening in the middle of the Irish peace-process : “For if they do these things with a green tree, what shall be done with the dry?” (Luke 23:32). A singularly gratuitous example of the anti-Marian cruelty is the apparent stalling, even stonewalling, of the Parole Commissioners regarding Marian’s “ application for release”. “Parole Commissioners” may well now enter the Irish-American lexicon in the same breath as The Famine, Gombeenman, Cromwell, etc., etc. … And don’t blame Irish-Americans , but the reason : gratuitous mistreatment of the Irish.

Fr. Sean Mc Manus President Irish National Caucus

P.O. BOX 15128 Capitol Hill Washington, DC 20003-0849

Tel. 202-544-0568 Fax. 202-488-7537

 sean@irishnationalcaucus.org

The truth is Margaret Thatcher likely ordered the Pat Finucane murder — British can never reveal the truth about the killing of civil rights lawyer

Posted by admin on December 12, 2012

as reported by Niall O’Dowd Irish Central
 
 
 
The latest British inquiry into the death of Pat Finucane is again leaving massive questions unanswered.The Guardian newspaper editorial headline said it best; “Pat Finucane murder: collusion, contrition, but not the whole truth.”

My strong belief is that the whole truth is that Margaret Thatcher ordered the Pat Finucane murder on February 12, 1989.

That is the key reason that no British Prime Minister will ever allow a public inquiry into the killing of the Belfast civil rights lawyer gunned down in front of his wife and children at his home.

He was shot 14 times while his widow, Geraldine, who was injured, tried to save him.

His only offense was to defend suspected IRA men and women too well in their court hearings.

I am not at all surprised that David Cameron uttered words of regret and then refused a public inquiry after the Da Silva report was issued yesterday.

Geraldine Finucane, a woman of immense courage,called it for what it was.

“This report is a sham. This report is a whitewash. This report is a confidence trick dressed up as independent scrutiny and given invisible clothes of reliability. Most of all, most hurtful and insulting of all, this report is not the truth,” she told reporters afterwards.

She knows what the truth is. The order to kill her husband came all the way from the top and David Cameron or any other British Prime Minister can never allow that truth to be revealed.

He can’t admit the British kill civil rights lawyers, can he?

Patrick Finucane was bringing the case of the Gibraltar 3, three IRA members shot dead in cold blood in March 1988, to Europe, which was going to be a massive embarrassment for Thatcher, who very likely gave the order for them to be shot dead also.

That court later found the three had been shot unlawfully. They had their hands up in surrender when they were shot down.

Finucane was doomed by a top government official. A member of Thatcher’s government Douglas Hogg, a Home Office minister, stood up in the House of Commons three weeks before Finucane was murdered and stated that some lawyers in Northern Ireland were “unduly sympathetic” to Irish Republicans.

He was directly referring to Finucane and signaling the killers to go ahead.

The new inquiry shows that MI5 was perfectly aware of the Finucane murder plot as were the RUC Special branch.

The Stevens inquiry into the Finucane killings stated, “My Enquiry team also investigated an allegation that senior RUC officers briefed the Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for the Home Department, the Rt Hon Douglas Hogg QC, MP, that ‘some solicitors were unduly sympathetic to the cause of the IRA.”

Mr Hogg repeated this view…and the Enquiry concludes that “the Minister was compromised.”

In this latest enquiry, Sir Desmond Da Silva wrote, “My review of the evidence relating to Patrick Finucane’s case has left me in no doubt that agents of the State were involved in carrying out serious violations of human rights up to and including murder.”

Those agents did not act alone, they did so on orders from on high — all the way to 10 Downing Street.

Thatcher’s reaction to the finding that her minister was responsible for the death of a lawyer?

She promoted him to Minister for Agriculture, all the better to keep him quiet.

Hogg was not alone in fingering Finucane of course. It went much higher in the government, all the way  to the top.

It was a time when Thatcher apparently believed she could win the war if only those pesky lawyers would stop getting guilty terrorists off. She also faced massive embarrassment in Europe over the Gibraltar killings.

The killing was sanctioned and carried out by the British state. Of all the crimes committed in Northern Ireland, the Finucane murder is the one which successive British government, of whatever hue, have most resisted investigating.

Pat’s problem was that he was too good at his job of defending Irish men and women arrested for alleged crimes against the state.

He had to be got rid of. The leader of the gang that killed him was a British special branch agent named Tommy Lyttle. The man who confessed to being the Ulster Defense Association hit man was Ken Barrett, also a special branch agent.

The UDA man who supplied the gun was William Stobie, also a special branch agent. He was killed by the UDA, by a British agent  in 2001, when he threatened to tell the truth about what happened to Pat Finucane.

Hogg and Thatcher might as well have been in the room when the gun went off fourteen times – they were just as culpable. The naming was the equivalent of painting a target on Finucane’s back – everyone knew who Hogg meant.

The British government had made their preference known.

And all the whitewash in the world will never remove the truth about what happened to Pat Finucane

Cameron admits collusion, denies conspiracy in Finucane murder

Posted by Jim on

  The British Prime Minister has admitted the assassination of Pat  Finucane was “an appalling crime” which involved three state agents, the  RUC police and the British Army, but he has stopped short of ordering a  public inquiry.

  In a statement to the Westminster parliament this afternoon Mr Cameron  said there had been “shocking” levels of state collusion but no  “over-arching state conspiracy”. He was speaking following the release  of an official report on the murder of the Belfast defence lawyer by  British barrister Desmond de Silva.

  His comments went further than any previous statement by a British Prime  Minister, but appeared to draw a veil over the potential involvement by  the Tory government of the day in the atrocity.

 The de Silva report confirms that the British Army suggested Finucane as  a target and were heavily involved in the murder and subsequent  cover-up.  But the report does not succeed in identifying those  politically responsible for the assassination plan, or make any link to  the comment by Minister Douglas Hogg in the government of Margaret  Thatcher, just weeks before the murder, that “some solicitors were  unduly sympathetic to the cause of the IRA”.

  The review finds that actions by employees of the state “actively  facilitated” the killing, and that 85% of the intelligence obtained by  the UDA came from the British Crown. In a two year period, there were  89,270 separate incidents of what were described as “leaks” from the  Crown forces to UDA.

  Cameron told MPs today that the British Army and Special Branch had  advance notice of a series of planned UDA assassinations, but “nothing  was done”. Employees of the state and stage agents played “key roles” in  the Finucane murder, and he admitted: “It cannot be argued that these  were rogue agents.”

  The Finucane family had suffered “the most grievous wrongs” but Cameron  continued to disagree about the need for a public inquiry, claiming the  de Silva report provides “the fullest possible account of the murder of  Pat Finucane and the extent of state collusion”.

  He said the degree of collusion exposed was “unacceptable” and said in a  message to the family: “I am deeply sorry.”

  John Finucane was eight when the death squad of British agents and UDA  loyalists burst into the family home and gunned down his father while  they were eating Sunday dinner.

 Speaking before today’s statement, he said: “No matter what the  circumstances, it’s not easy for anyone to lose their father at a very  young age, never mind in such a violent fashion.

  “In the case of my father we see that those [state] agencies not just  failed to protect him but instigated the murder and then covered the  matter up.. That’s quite shocking and remains so for me and my family.”

Dublin Government Told British Of Threat To Pat Finucane Two Months Before He Was Killed

Posted by Jim on December 11, 2012

STATEMENT BY ED MOLONEY ON THE DE SILVA REPORT – Dec 12th 2012

In his report on the murder of Pat Finucane, Sir Desmond de Silva has this to say in relation to the RUC’s role in encouraging the UDA to target the solicitor (Par 73):

“The critical issue, in my view, was to determine whether RUC officers had been involved in inciting loyalists in custody to attack Patrick Finucane. Allegations that RUC officers had incited loyalists in this manner were first expressed privately by the Ambassador of the Government of Ireland to the Cabinet Secretary on 13 February 1989, the day after Patrick Finucane’s murder.”
In December 1998 I was the Northern Editor of the Sunday Tribune newspaper. During that month I had lunch with the late Tommy Lyttle, then the West Belfast Commander of the UDA. During the lunch he told me that RUC detectives at Castlereagh interrogation centre had recently suggested to one of his colleagues during an interrogation session that the UDA ought to consider killing three “IRA lawyers”, Pat Finucane, Oliver Kelly and P J McGrory. Tommy Lyttle’s words were that the RUC man had said that the UDA was wasting its time killing Catholics when there were real targets like these lawyers available.

Since Tommy Lyttle is now dead, as are the three lawyers at the centre of the story, I feel I am free to talk openly about this incident.

As a journalist covering a beat like the violence in Northern Ireland it was inevitable that from time to time I would come across evidence that suggested someone’s life could be in danger. While protecting source confidentiality has always been the highest priority to me I never hesitated in such circumstances to pass on a warning in such a way that the source is not revealed and the threatened person is able to take the proper precautions.

At the same time one had to be careful about how this was done. Motives can be be misinterpreted, actions misunderstood and the consequences could be dangerous both for yourself and your source. But there was no doubt in my mind that the three solicitors had to be warned. When a paramilitary figure as senior as Tommy Lyttle mentions such a possibility it had to be taken seriously.

Of the three lawyers, I was closest to Paddy McGrory who I regarded as a friend as much as a very valuable legal contact. I decided to tell him of the threat knowing that he would pass it on to the other two in a suitably discrete fashion. Shortly after my lunch with Tommy Lyttle, I went to his home and told him that the RUC was encouraging UDA gunmen to kill the three solicitors and that in my view he should take the warning very seriously indeed.

Paddy later  told me that he had contacted the office of the then Taoiseach, Charles Haughey to tell him of the threat and that the Irish government in turn contacted the Northern Ireland Office to insist that security be stepped up at his home. This was done apparently under some protest from the NIO. What precautions, if any, were taken in regard to Oliver Kelly and Pat Finucane I do not know. Mr Haughey’s involvement in the affair and the NIO’s role in upping security precautions at Paddy McGrory’s home are checkable facts.

The Irish government was therefore aware of the UDA threat to Pat Finucane as well as the other lawyers some two months before the UDA struck and because of Mr Haughey’s intervention the British government was also aware of the threat long before Pat Finucane was killed. Sir Desmond de SIlva is therefore mistaken, or was misinformed. The British government was made aware by the Irish government of the UDA’s threat to lawyers long before February 12th, 1989.

Gap between Catholics and Protestants in North of Ireland down to just three per cent

Posted by Jim on

The Catholic population in North of Ireland is now just three percentage points behind the number of Protestants in the province.

New census figures show that the gap between the proportion of Protestants and Catholics has narrowed.

The percentage of Catholics is up to 45 per cent while Protestant representation has fallen to 48 per cent from the 2001 census.

Experts say the dwindling gap between the two groups will lead to major political change in the near future.

When first created the Northern state had a 66 per cent to 33 per cent Protestant population over Catholic and Sir James Craig called it a “Protestant state for a Protestant people.” 

The new figures are detailed in the 2011 census, published on Tuesday by the Northern Ireland Statistics and Research Agency.

The new census shows that almost half the population, 48 per cent, designated themselves as British when asked to select one or more of a number of identities, including Northern Irish or Irish.

The report also states that a total of 29 per cent of the overall population included Northern Irish as an identity while 28 per cent included Irish.

The 2011 census was the first time a question on national identity was asked in North of Ireland.

The results show that 40 per cent said they were British only with the remaining 8 per cent opting for British along with another one of the identities, such as British and Irish or British and Northern Irish.

A quarter of the population defined themselves as Irish only while 21 per cent said they were Northern Irish only.

Questioned about their religion in 2001 in the last census  53 per cent of the population replied Protestant with 44 per cent Catholic.

The Irish Times reports that statistics from the North’s Department of Education for 2010/11 showed 120,415 Protestants and 163,693 Catholics in schools, equating to 57.6 per cent Catholic and 42.4 per cent Protestant pupils.

An additional 37,609 classify themselves as ‘other Christian’ (8,282), ‘non-Christian’ (1,726) and the 27,601 who fall into the ‘other/no religion/religion not recorded’ category.

The paper states that figures for 2009/10 show that in Queen’s University, Belfast, there were 8,710 North of Ireland-domiciled students of a Catholic background compared with 6,740 from the Protestant tradition.

In the University of Ulster there were 11,070 Catholics and 7,020 Protestants.

In the two teacher-training colleges, Stranmillis and St Mary’s, there were 1,215 Catholics and 650 Protestants.

The North of Ireland population now stands at 1,810,900, the highest ever recorded, and brings the population of the island of Ireland to just under 6.4 million which is the highest population in Ireland since the first post-Famine census of 1851.

The population on the island of Ireland has increased by more than 1.25 million in the past 21 years and by well over two million in the past 51 years.

Read more: http://www.irishcentral.com/news/Gap-between-Catholics-and-Protestants-in-Northern-Ireland-down-to-just-three-per-cent-182959921.html#ixzz2EntZyjUB
Follow us: @IrishCentral on Twitter | IrishCentral on Facebook