subscribe to the RSS Feed

Saturday, August 22, 2026

Fr. Mc Manus Visits Marian Price

Posted by Jim on February 22, 2013

County Fermanagh.Northern Ireland. Friday, February 22, 2013 – Marian Price was today visited by Fr. Sean Mc Manus, President of the Washington-based Irish National Caucus. He spent ninety minutes with her, accompanied by her husband Jerry Mc Glinchey and her attorney Peter Corrigan.
Fr. Mc Manus said: I have been raising Marian’s case with the U.S. Department of State and the U.S. Congress, and I wanted to visit her to show both personal and Irish-American solidarity. My heart was broken and my soul outraged by how this heroic Irishwoman has been treated. This seriously ill, lovely, soft-spoken woman should not be in prison. Her persecution – yes, persecution – makes a mockery of the Irish peace-process, questions the whole judicial system, and raises doubt as to whether there has, indeed, been a “ new beginning” to policing in Northern Ireland. Surely Peter Robinson, Martin Mc Guinness, David Ford and the NI Secretary of State must know that there is something rotten with their government’s treatment of Marian.”
Fr. Mc Manus added : “ I was so impressed that despite all the inhumane treatment and judicial misconduct, Marian has maintained her dignity and self-respect.”
He concluded: “ When Peter Robinson and Martin Mc Guinness come to Washington for their annual St. Patrick’s Day visit, the hard truth will be this: No matter how nice or encouraging their words, their message will be overshadowed by their government’s treatment of Marian. Her cruel mistreatment will mock their words, telling Washington there is still something rotten in Northern Ireland.”
END
Fr. Sean Mc Manus
President
Irish National Caucus
P.O. BOX 15128
Capitol Hill
Washington, DC 20003-0849
Tel. 202-544-0568
Fax. 202-488-7537
sean@irishnationalcaucus.org

Anti-Irish racism reported on the increase

Posted by Jim on February 16, 2013

Irish community activists in Britain have sought high-level political discussions following an increase in attacks on Irish events by far-right organisations and loyalists.

On Monday, Cairde na hEireann Liverpool met with that city’s Mayor and senior officials to ask that the rights of the Irish community to hold lawful, dignified and peaceful public events be upheld and protected.

And this week in Wakefield, a small town in west Yorkshire made famous by the hunger strike of Irish martyr Frank Stagg, a dignified republican commemoration was beset a small group of flag-wielding loyalists, with little protection from the Yorkshire police.

Similar problems have been encountered by Irish events and organisations across England and Scotland. But it is Liverpool’s Irish community which has been particularly targeted by right-wing British extremists, through openly racist and intimidatory confrontations.

In a statement, Cairde na hEireann Liverpool said on Monday the attacks had been “an attempt drive the Irish community off the streets of Liverpool.

“They have also been aimed at preventing the expression of Irish culture and our community’s right to commemorate Liverpool-Irish history and honour the memory of such historical figures such as James Larkin and the Liverpool-Irish volunteers who fought fascism in Spain.”

The details of the attacks were published in a recent report by the community group, which has a proud history of involvement in the local anti-racist and anti-fascist struggle.

The report, ‘Under Pressure’, provides an account of recent anti-Irish racism in Liverpool, linking it to a history of institutional racism and far-right and Loyalist activity in the city.

Last July saw a so-called “anti-IRA” march in Liverpool by hardline English Defence League splinter group the North West Infidels (NWI), a far-right street protest movement.

It was planned in response to a march organised by the left-wing James Larkin Society to counter the rise in far-right activity targeting Muslims, trade unionists and Irish republican groups living in the north of England. The event had nothing to do with the IRA.

And this time last year, in scenes unseen since the 80s, hardline British nationalists stopped a march commemorating Liverpool-born Republican Sean Phelan and racially abused marchers. It is feared the same scenes could be repeated in upcoming events.

A number of news publications have also documented the increased links between loyalists and far-right racist groups such as the North West Infidels, Combined Ex-forces, English Defence League and the National Front.

The rhetoric of groups like the English Defence League uses the recycled racism of the 1980s when the National Front and British Movement would stage “anti-IRA” marches as an excuse to attack and intimidate Irish immigrants.

When BBC screened a documentary about Irish rappers, anti-Irish prejudice quickly surfaced on social networks:

“Irish rappers on bbc three!? Give it a rest, f**k off back to the fiddle and flute you potato eating chumps!”

“Irish rappers!!…potato famine has resulted in some damage chromosomes me thinks”

Meanwhile, first and second-generation Irish journalists have also spoken out about what is known in England as “Paddy-bashing” or “Catholic-bashing”.

In blog posts, they have written about an “unspoken rule” that “Irish people are white, so discriminating against them can’t be racist”.

The Irish History of the Lily and the IRA women.

Posted by Jim on

Besides the Irish Volunteer (IV) and the Irish Citizen Army (ICA) a third organisation, the Cumann na mBan, me…aning League of Women, secured a substantial influence and considerable support in the build-up to the Easter Rising. In contrast with the other organisations the Cumann na mBan preserved its position after the Rebellion of 1916 and it is probably because of the existence of the League of Women that the struggle for independence continued after the disastrous revolt.

It is incorrect to assume that Irish women were not involved in the republican movement prior to the founding of the Cumann na mBan in 1914 by Countess Constance Markievicz, Agnes O’Farrelly and Mary MacSwiney. In the contrary, women provided shelter to rebels on the run, nursed the wounded and proved to be very suitable couriers of weapons and manifests. In the course of the years these tasks passed from mother to daughter. Irish women literally learned these tasks at their mother’s knee. Despite their important role the activities of women took place in the background, far off the front stage where men occupied the traditional male areas such as politics and physical combat. The Cumann na mBan claimed a more prominent role for women in the republican movement.

Initially the Cumann na mBan was subservient to the Irish Volunteer (IV), but soon the organisation gained more independence. Nevertheless at top level the Irish Volunteer (IV), and at a later stage the Irish Republican Army (IRA), remained superior over the top of the Cumann na mBan.
At the same time James Connolly, who is described as a thorough feminist in every respect, attracted women and members of Cumann na mBan also joined the Irish Citizen Army (ICA) or were involved in the trade unions.

Easter Rising.
The Easter Lily.

Bloody Sunday: Compensation offer a ‘distraction’ says victims sister

Posted by Jim on February 15, 2013

As Reported by BBC News Feb. 15, 2013

The sister of a teenager shot dead in Londonderry on Bloody Sunday has described the offer of £50,000 compensation as a ‘distraction’.

Kate Nash’s brother William was killed on Bloody Sunday.

She said the compensation offer was a stalling tactic by the Ministry of Defence. She said the families want prosecutions of the soldiers responsible for the killings.

“To me that is more important, I am not interested in money,” she said.

“It is a distraction from the real issue which is ending impunity and getting the soldiers to court.

“We also have an ongoing police investigation and I don’t know how that is progressing but I will be finding out very soon.

“I am not remotely interested in money, not now, and even after prosecutions, we are not interested in money.”

The DUP Security Spokesman Gregory Campbell has questioned the process which led to the £50,000 figure.

Criteria

“As far as I am aware when people receive some form of compensation there are criteria about whether they had dependents, their age and their possible earning potential.

“That doesn’t appear to have applied in this case.

“It seems to be a carte blanche £50,000 irrespective of circumstances,

“Many people who had loved ones killed in their early part of the Troubles in the 1970s got a pittance in comparison to this, some of them got nothing whatsoever.”

On Friday, the Ministry of Defence issued the following statement: “Discussions with the families’ solicitors about compensation are ongoing and any speculation about payments is unhelpful and premature.”

Thirteen people died when British soldiers opened fire during a civil rights march in Londonderry in 1972. A fourteenth person died later.

The Saville Report into Bloody Sunday was published in June 2010.

Prime Minister David Cameron apologised to the families and said the killings were “unjustified and unjustifiable”.

Gerry McKeough thanks all for support

Posted by Jim on February 14, 2013

 

A chairde,

Just want to take this opportunity to thank all who turned out for the great night we had in Dublin last weekend. I thoroughly enjoyed every minute of it and it was wonderful to meet-up again with so many old friends, as well as get to see and talk to many more new ones.

The Druids are a magnificent group and richly deserve the accolades they’ve received for their music and performances. In addition to that they are also really good guys and it was an honour to meet, converse and be photographed with them.

Brian, Mick, Anto and all our friends in Dublin did a magnificent job in putting the event together at relatively short notice.

The previous weekend’s Fáilte Abhaile in Tyrone is STILL being talked about and I have to thank Damien, Noreen, Barry and all who took part in the organizing for the brilliant night that was enjoyed by everyone in the huge crowd that turned-up.

Once again, the Irish Brigade excelled themselves and it’s easy to see why they’ve remained so popular over the years. Apart from being excellent musicians they are also good personal friends and neighbours and it meant a lot to have them there

There are so many people that need to be thanked and rest assured that the help and support of one and all during this difficult period of injustice for my family and I are deeply appreciated. May God bestow bountiful blessings upon you.

Beannachtaí,

Gerry McGeough.

 

The Irish band “The Druids” are coming to NY/NJ in March.  Please try to get out to support them. The band played at Gerry McGeough fundraisers over the past 2 years! Help spread the word and don’t miss out on the opportunity to hear the best Republican Rebel band in Ireland! 

 

THE DRUIDS 

March 2013 NEW YORK / NEW JERSEY TOUR

 

Tues. 12th March The Quite Man Peekskill’s New York

Weds. 13th March Thatcher McGhee’s Denville New Jersey

Thurs. 14th March Thatcher McGhee’s Pompton Lakes New Jersey

Friday 15th March Kelly Ryan’s The Bronx New York**

(**a special show: the history of Irish Republicanism through song) 

Sat. 16th March Connolly’s 47th St New York (all day)

Sun. 17th March Connolly’s 45th St New York 6:00pm

 

Irelands Number One

 Rebel Band