subscribe to the RSS Feed

Saturday, August 22, 2026

Marian Price Released

Posted by Jim on May 30, 2013

The Prison Crisis Group has welcomed the release of Marian Price and thanked everyone who backed her campaign.

“This is great news,” said spokesperson Betty Doherty yesterday. “It should have happened two years ago.

“The PCG has been in the forefront of the campaign throughout Marian’s internment. Many others have also been involved. We do not believe that Marian would be free had it not been for the campaign.

“We acknowledge the role of the political parties which came on board, and of the trades union movement. But most of all, we thank the thousands of ordinary people who signed our petitions, distributed our pamphlets and leaflets and turned out at the pickets we held on every occasion Marian was before the courts.

“We know we have more work to do, fighting for Martin Corry and in solidarity with interned prisoners across the water. We will be putting particular emphasis on the case of John Downey.

“But we can take time off today to celebrate.

“Everybody should learn the most important lesson to come out of all this – that grass-roots campaigning can make all the difference.”

In a message dated 30/05/2013 15:50:16 GMT Daylight Time, sanboyer@gmail.com writes:
Just got the word from Jerry McGlinchey that Marian is being released today. He says she will probably need to stay in the hospital, at least for a little while.

Thank you all for everything you did.

Now we need to step up the pressure for Martin Corey.

‘BAD FAITH’ HIGHLIGHTED BY NEW ARREST

Posted by Jim on May 25, 2013

Sinn Fein leader Gerry Adams has accused the British government of breaching commitments given during peace talks over a decade ago following the arrest of leading Donegal Sinn Fein member John Downey.

The 61-year-old was brought before Westminster Magistrates Court to face charges over a 1982 IRA attack in London’s Hyde Park in which four soldiers were killed. Today [Friday], he appeared at the Old Bailey by video link from Belmarsh prison and was ordered to be remanded in custody. No bail application was sought.

Mr Downey, who lives in Carrigart, Donegal has been a leading member of Sinn Fein in the county. In 2009, he read the Easter statement on behalf of the party leadership at the party’s annual Drumboe martyrs commemoration.

Mr Adams said an agreement forged with the British government at the Weston Park talks about ‘on the runs’ — republicans still pursued over in regard to outstanding prosecutions — had been breached.

He said the arrest of John Downey “is a matter of grave concern and a clear breach of commitments given by the British government at Weston Park and in subsequent negotiations”.

The 2001 talks near Birmingham were intended to secure the implementation of the 1998 Good Friday Agreement. The Weston Park deal helped to secure the final disarming of the Provisional IRA. It also saw a British commitment to hold a public inquiry on the state assassination of lawyer Pat Finucane, which was equally reneged upon.

Commenting on the development, Sinn Féin Assembly member Gerry Kelly described Mr Downey as “a long time supporter of the peace process”.

“The decision to arrest and charge him in relation to IRA activities in the early 1980s is vindictive, unnecessary and unhelpful. It will cause anger within the Republican community.”

He said that following from the negotiated resolution of the OTRs issue, Mr Downey had received a letter from the British government in 2007 stating that he was not wanted by the PSNI or any other British police force.

“Despite travelling to England on many occasions now six years on he finds himself before the courts on these historic charges,” Mr Kelly said.

“This development represents bad faith and a departure from what was previously agreed by both governments.

“John Downey needs to be released and allowed to return home to his family.”

The controversial arrest followed the 15th anniversary of the 1998 Good Friday Agreement, when Mr Adams again urged the 26 County government to press the British on “outstanding issues” of the peace deal.

Speaking in Belfast, the Louth representative accused the Tory-led coalition of defaulting on a number of past agreements, including commitments to legislate for a bill of rights and an Irish language bill for the North.

He called on the Dublin government, which he said was “a co-equal guarantor” of the Good Friday Agreement, to fulfil its obligations to intervene.

“I am calling on them now to bring forward a strategy to ensure the British government deliver on the commitments and support the work of the executive,” Mr Adams said.

‘HIGH LEVEL’ COLLUSION ADMITTED

Posted by admin on May 23, 2013

Senior British government officials permitted a campaign of state-backed killings by unionist paramilitaries and the RUC (now PSNI) police to be conducted at the height of the conflict, a senior security adviser for the British government has finally admitted.

The admission in advice to British Prime Minister David Cameron comes after the Downing Street continues to block a genuine inquiry into the 1989 murder of Pat Finucane, a US congressional committee was told on Wednesday.

The point-blank assassination of the Belfast lawyer, who was gunned down in front of his wife and children as he ate his Sunday dinner, remains one of the most controversial state killings in the North.

Last year, Cameron made an apology in the British parliament to the Finucane family, admitting “shocking” collusion in his murder between Loyalist paramilitaries and the RUC. However, he denied any political conspiracy existed, while refusing a public inquiry which could have exposed that claim as false.

However, a letter written in July 2011 by senior official Ciaran Martin admits that internal classified documents supported the Finucane family’s claims.

“[S]ome of the evidence available only internally could be read to suggest that within government at a high level this systematic problem with loyalist agents was known, but nothing was done about it,” said the letter.

“It’s also potentially the case that credible suspicions of agent involvement in Mr Finucane’s murder were made known at senior levels after it and that nothing was done; the agents remained in place. These two points essentially aren’t public.”

Mr Cameron was accused of perpetuating a “massive injustice” for his continued refusal to allow a public inquiry or to admit that the collusion was politically sanctioned.

In a hearing in Washington DC this week, Mr Cameron was accused of seeking to protect politicians and senior British government officials who had turned a blind eye to the murder.

Chris Smith, chair of the human rights sub-committee of the House Committee on Foreign Affairs castigated him for its refusal to allow a full inquiry.

“The British government has reserved one final, yet massive injustice,”
he said, “it continues to protect those responsible for the murder of Pat Finucane.”

Mr Finucane’s son, Michael, told the committee that he believed the collusion with unionist paramilitaries “was a deep-rooted, officially sanctioned policy of selecting targets based on their degree of opposition to the State.

“The more troublesome the individual, the more likely the State was to deploy its killers-by-proxy to erase the ‘problem’.”

The British government had first offered a public inquiry into his father’s killing in 2001 during peace talks but then consistently “welshed” on the commitment, Mr Finucane said.

In 2004, a review by Canadian Supreme Court Justice Peter Cory called for a public inquiry, but after repeated delays the British government agreed in 2011 only to a’review’ of the case papers.

“My family would not be permitted to see any of the documents nor would we be allowed to hear witnesses called to give evidence or ask them any questions,” said Mr Finucane, arguing that the review was totally inadequate and repeating calls for a full judicial inquiry.

The existence of the security letter first emerged last month at a Belfast High Court hearing challenging Downing Street’s decision not to allow a full inquiry.

The judge ordered the government to hand over minutes of the July 2011 cabinet meeting at which the decision was taken to deny a public inquiry, and correspondence between Downing Street officials and MI5. It is still unclear whether the documents will actually be made available to the Finucane family.

Irish lobby gear up for visa battle in bid to make undocumented Irish legal in U.S.

Posted by Jim on May 9, 2013

ILIR set for major campaign to help more irish come to U.S. and legalize those here

By CAHIR O’DOHERTY,Irish Voice Reporter

As the Senate Judiciary Committee kicks off what is expected to be a lengthy process of debating and amending the immigration bill on Thursday, the Irish Lobby for Immigration Reform (ILIR), the group dedicated to creating a new legal pathway for the Irish in America, is gearing up for a major battle.

They will hold a fundraiser on Thursday, May 23 to bolster its lobbying efforts in Washington, D.C.

“This is now probably the last opportunity the Irish American community has to address the long term issue of legal access to America for Irish immigrants,” ILIR president Ciaran Staunton told the Irish Voice.

To make the push for comprehensive reform, ILIR has organized in almost every state with Irish American communities, Staunton explains. “This is the last opportunity for Irish America to pry open the golden door for those who want to come here from Ireland,” he adds.

Since the last big effort to achieve reform several years ago with Senators Edward Kennedy and John McCain leading the effort, ILIR has stayed working on Capitol Hill, Staunton explains. A perception among some in the Irish community that the lobby group had wound down many of its operations is inaccurate said Staunton.

“In the last number of years we’ve built up relationships on both sides of the aisle with very senior people in the House and Senate. The last two major immigration initiatives in 1965 and 1986 in the United States had huge effects on the Irish community and their effects are still being felt,” he said.

“The 1965 Act locked us out,” Staunton explains. “We weren’t at the table for the 1986 Act other than to get the Donnelly and the short term Morrison visas. So when the hearing on the new bill commences in Washington ILIR will retain consultants and lobbyists on both sides of the aisle, and we will also follow up on all the support it has secured around the country.”

Behind the scenes the relationships ILIR has built with senators and other leaders has continued.

“This is not the time for the previous big demonstrations we took to Washington,” Deirdre Foy, a volunteer ILIR activist explained about the large-scale rallies ILIR organized during the Kennedy-McCain efforts.

“This is the time to quietly win over lawmakers to our side. Now is the time to fundraise to support our continuing efforts.”

To that end the second annual Annie Moore Awards, named in honor of the Irish girl who was the first passenger registered through the immigration station at Ellis Island in 1892, will be held to honor prominent Irish Americans for their ongoing efforts on behalf of the Irish immigrant community.

This year ILIR has chosen to honor Brendan Murray, president of the Newport Group, a leading financial services firm, with the Patrick J. Donaghy Award, named after the retired chairman and founder of Structure Tone.

The second award recipient will be Michael Brewster, managing director of Credit Suisse, the international financial services group.

“Brendan Murray came here in the fifties and Michael Brewster came here in the nineties. Both rose to the top of their professions and they both share our aim of prizing open that golden door for Irish people,” Staunton said.

“We are not seeking preferential treatment. We are seeking equal treatment.”

The Annie Moore ceremony will be held at the New York Athletic Club on Central Park South on May 23, with tickets selling from $500 to $10,000. All monies raised will fund ILIR’s efforts to create a new legal pathway for the Irish in America.

“We’ve been doing a lot of behind the scenes work continuously with the friends we’ve made in D.C. over the years,” said Foy. “They’re very aware of the Irish portion of this reform push. The relationships we’ve established are standing us in good stead. We’re talking to the right people to make sure we’re not forgotten.”

In recent months the Irish lobby group has been invited to the White House and to every major briefing on immigration reform. On each occasion their message has been the same — there will not be comprehensive immigration reform unless there is legal access to America for future flow from Ireland.

“I think it’s important that people check out our Facebook page,” says Staunton. “We work very closely with other national Irish American organizations, and as this bill gets moving we will be all our members to be making calls to ensure we’re moving lawmakers to vote against the No Irish Need Apply 1965 Act.

“If we are successful with this bill then 50,000 undocumented will have a path to legalization and the future flow portion will allow the Irish to legally come to America in the years to come,” Staunton said.

TO ALL FRIENDS OF IRISH FREEDOM:

Posted by Jim on May 6, 2013

May 5th was the 32nd anniversary of the death of Bobby Sands in the H Blocks of Long Kesh Prison – AKA The University of Freedom. I recently returned from a trip to Belfast and Derry. I was there with a group of friends that are part of the FFAI – Freedom For All Ireland. On Good Friday we participated in a conference commemorating the 15th Anniversary of the signing of the Good Friday Agreement that brought the end to the Troubles and peace to Northern Ireland. After the conference, we participated in the stations of the cross in Down Patrick. They were officiated by Father Sean Rogan who is the priest that gave Bobby Sands the Last Rites in the hospital wing at Long Kesh Prison. On Easter Sunday, we marched in the 1916 Easter commemoration march up the Falls Road with the families of the Hunger Strikers to Milltown Cemetery. There was a very moving ceremony in the Republican plot at the graves of Bobby Sands, Joe McDonald, Kieran Doherty and many other Volunteers who gave their lives for the cause.

Bobby was on hunger strike for 66 days. He was only 27 years old when he died. Let us take a minute to remember our friend Roibeard Gearoid O’ Seachnasigh – Bobby Sands. Ni bheidh do leithidariamh ann arist – there will never be the like of you again!!

Maggie Thatcher instituted Internment and many men were sent on remand to the Crumlin Road Goal (jail). Dan and I visited the Crum with a former prisoner who was a guest there courtesy of Maggie. Gerard told us of the harsh conditions and treatment during his two and a half years there without being charged. When he finally was brought before a diplock court – a British judge and no jury – he was sentenced to seven years in Long Kesh.

Upon my return to the States, Maggie Thatcher died. Graffiti on the Peace Wall on the Falls Road said it best: “Iron Lady? RUST in peace”. I can only imagine Maggie reaching the Gates of Heaven and being greeted by Saint Peter and Saint Patrick. When Maggie tried to pass through the pearly gates, they reminded Maggie of all of the things that she had a hand in, in Northern Ireland:
• The Para unit she sent to Belfast in 1971t that resulted in the Ballymurphy Massacre
• The Para unit she sent to Derry in 1972 that resulted in 14 innocent people being shot dead on Bloody Sunday – it took 39 long years for the families to finally get vindication. The British government apologized and admitted the people killed that day were innocent.
• Internment……..prisoners held on remand…….diplock courts with no jury’s….
• Broken promises and agreements with Brendan Hugh’s and the first Hunger Strike in 1980
• 1981 – The deaths on Hunger Strike of Bobby Sands and the 9 brave men who followed
• 1989 – The death of Pat Finucane who was shot 14 times will eating dinner at home with his wife (who was also wounded) and his three children

With that said, Saints Peter & Patrick did not let Maggie pass through the gates of Heaven and sent her to the H Blocks of Hell.

In Bobby’s own words, “Our revenge will be the laughter of our children”.

I bhfad ar shiul From afar
Deanann soilse na Ceise The lights of Long Kesh
Breacadh breagach Make a false dawn
I speir no hoiche. In the night sky.
Thar an Cheis Fhada But over Long Kesh
Ni gealtar aon la No dawn brightens
Choiche. Ever.

In 2014, the International Center for Conflict Resolution will open on the site of the former Long Kesh Prison. Part of the Center will allow the Republicans and the Loyalists to tell their story and share their experiences. The Troubles in Northern Ireland was the longest occupation by British troops in the history of the British Empire. The Conflict Center will show the world that given the chance to sit down and negotiate, complex situations can be resolved. The plans will include one of the Quonset hut “Cages” from The University of freedom”, one of the H Blocks and the Hospital Center where the 10 Hunger Strikers died.

Saoirse!
Bob