subscribe to the RSS Feed

Saturday, August 22, 2026

Concerns for peace process after DUP move on H-Blocks

Posted by Jim on August 25, 2013

 

 Sinn Fein’s Martin McGuinness has warned that “the extremes of political

unionism” have been boosted after DUP leader Peter Robinson rejected

plans for a peace centre on the site of the former Long Kesh prison.

 

In a 12-page diatribe issued from his Florida holiday home last week,

Robinson blamed Sinn Fein for making it impossible to co-operate on the

project.

 

Martin McGuinness accused the First Minister of “continually feeding the

insatiable appetite of those who see life through a red, white and blue

prism”.

 

“History is littered with unionist leaders who made this mistake,” he

said.

 

Unionist hardliners have reiterated demands it be razed to the ground to

prevent it becoming a “shrine” to the Irish republican armed struggle,

and the ten hunger strikers who gave their lives there. There are fears

the historic site could now be bulldozed.

 

However, the blueprints for the £300 million development of the site

near Lisburn in County Antrim also include a number of large-scale

projects aimed at bringing employment to the predominately unionist

area.

 

Last Saturday, Mr McGuinness told a commemoration for IRA Volunteer and

former Sinn Fein vice-president John Joe McGirl in Balinamore, County

Leitrim, that Robinson’s apparent u-turn was a mistake.

 

“It is a mistake not just because it jeopardises much-needed investment

and jobs, but also for the message it sends to the vast majority of

people — nationalist and unionist — who are rock solid behind the

peace process,” he said.

 

“Some in the extremes of political unionism believe that they can unpick

the Good Friday Agreement — moves like this give them succour.”

 

Mr McGuinness said the DUP decision ignored the fact that the vast

majority of unionists wanted to see the peace process succeed.

 

“They are not interested in re-fighting battles that are long over or

harking back to a time that has long gone,” he said.

 

“They want to see their political leaders get on with the job of

reconciliation and delivering in the government.”

 

He also argued many unionists were “embarrassed by the antics” of

loyalists who attacked police in Belfast city centre riots earlier this

month.

 

TALKS

 

Commenting on the forthcoming round table talks to be chaired by former

US envoy Richard Haass, Mr McGuinness said Sinn Fein would use the

discussions to further underpin the north’s political institutions.

 

“We want to see agreement on parades, on flags and emblems and on

dealing with the legacy of the past,” he said.

 

“The Haass talks are not about replacing the Parades Commission to

satisfy the demands of the Orange Order.”

 

The deputy first minister said he was “entirely comfortable” with

unionists seeking to express a British identity in a “sensible and

non-confrontational fashion”.

 

“Likewise I expect them to acknowledge and recognise my Irishness in the

same spirit – I do not believe that is too much to ask or expect,” he

said.

 

But the DUP’s Edwin Poots hit back at Mr McGuinness’s criticisms and

accused the deputy first minister of “absolute hypocrisy and cheek”.

 

“He needs to stop blaming everyone else for the action taken on the Maze

and wake up to the reality that his party and their actions are

responsible for the lack of confidence that any peace centre can be a

shared space,” he said.

 

Meanwhile, SDLP leader Alasdair McDonnell claimed the public spat

between the two biggest parties at Stormont had soured the political

process.

 

“Last week we saw how Peter Robinson, viewing the mob violence in

Belfast from his American holiday, played to the gallery of unionist

extremism and made a funda-mental U-turn on the Maze in a bid to appease

this minority,” the South Belfast MP said.

 

“Now days later we see his deputy, Sinn Fein’s Martin McGuinness,

similarly move to appease his party who are obviously demanding an angry

response over the airwaves.”

 

Address to John Joe McGirl Commemoration

Posted by admin on August 24, 2013

 

 The following is the full prepared text of the speech delivered by

Martin McGuinness to the John Joe McGirl Commemoration, Ballinamore,

County Leitrim, on Saturday 17th August.

 

 

When people mention the town of Balinamore, the inevitably mention John

Joe McGirl.

 

John Joe epitomised everything that is good about our struggle.

 

Be it his involvement in the IRA in the 1930s, to his leadership role in

the Border Campaign, or his election to Leinster House, or his key part

in reorganising Republicanism in the early 1970s, or his decisive

contribution in 1986, John Joe always led from the front.

 

He was, and he remains for Republicans, not just here in Leitrim, or the

border, but across our country, an inspirational leader.

 

25 years on from the time we laid John Joe to rest he continues to

inspire.

 

Why is this?

 

It is because John Joe knew about struggle.

 

He knew about strategy.

 

He knew what it meant to carry the burden and the responsibility

leadership and he knew that at all time the struggle needed to move

forward.

 

He also knew about our past but he was never a hostage to it.

 

He was a County Councillor from 1960 up until the time of his death,

during years when for some Republicans electoralism was a bad word.

 

Not for John Joe. He knew that popularising our struggle and making it

relevant to people was the way we would bring about Irish reunification

and freedom.

 

He didn’t fear carrying the Republican message of freedom and justice

and peace into political institutions indeed it was John Joe and

people like him who led the way for the people like me coming behind

him.

 

Partition was an injustice and it was an injustice that John Joe

committed his entire adult life to ending.

 

And it is an injustice that we remain committed to ending today.

 

The past few weeks have not been good weeks for the political process in

the north.

 

The peace process needs political leaders with the skills and craft of

John Joe McGirl at this time.

 

Political unionism needs to realise that nothing can be gained by

continually feeding the insatiable appetite of those who see life

through a red, white and blue prism. They are violently opposed to this

process because at the heart of it they are opposed to Equality.

 

History is littered with unionist leaders who made this mistake.

 

I have never been selective in condemning and challenging violent

attacks on the peace process from whatever quarter. I do not look over

my shoulder, my face and the face of this party is firmly focused on the

future.

 

And I believe that the future will be better than the past.

 

The history of our Peace Process tells any observer one thing.

 

When Republicans make agreements we implement them.

 

This week’s decision by the DUP to abandon the agreement reached on the

future development of the Maze/Long Kesh site is a mistake.

 

It is a mistake not just because it jeopardises much needed investment

and jobs, but also for the message it sends to the vast majority of

people nationalist and unionist who are rock solid behind the peace

process.

 

Some in the extremes of political unionism believe that they can unpick

Good Friday Agreement. Moves like this give them succour.

 

However it ignores the political reality and ignores the fact that the

vast majority of unionists want to see this process succeed. They are

not interested in re-fighting battles that are long over, or harking

back to a time that has long gone.

 

They want to see their political leaders get on with the job of

reconciliation and delivering in the government.

 

They are embarrassed by the antics of the thugs who attacked the police

in recent weeks in Belfast while wrapped in the Union flag.

 

The Orange State that I grew up in is gone and most sensible unionists

realise that is a good thing – it is time that political unionism woke

up to this reality.

 

So the choice for unionism is very clear come a share power on the

basis of equality and real partnership and when you do that you will

find genuine nationalist and republican partners or pander to

rejectionists who abhor equality, fairness and parity of esteem.

 

Richard Haas will come to Ireland next month to chair all-party

discussions. We will approach these talks with the objective of

advancing the peace process and further underpinning the political

institutions.

 

We want to see agreement on parades, on flags and emblems and on dealing

with the legacy of the past. The Haas talks are not about replacing the

Parades Commission to satisfy the demands of the Orange Order.

 

I am entirely comfortable with unionists seeking to express a British

identity in a sensible and non-confrontational fashion.

 

Likewise I expect them to acknowledge and recognise my Irishness in the

same spirit. I do not believe that is too much to ask or expect.

 

The Haas talks can succeed if everyone approaches them in this spirit.

 

Confidence in the political process can be built. Progress on difficult

issues can be made. But we cannot do this on our own. There needs to be

unionists who are willing to be partners in peace.

 

John Joe McGirl would have understood well the events of the past month.

He would not have been surprised.

 

He would also have understood well the plight of many young people

across this island, especially in this region, once again facing the

prospect of emigration.

 

Partition has distorted the economy of this and other areas.

 

The best way for the people of Leitrim to honour the memory of John Joe

McGirl is to work harder to deliver on what he worked for a real

Republic, a united Ireland based on the principles of equality and

social justice for all. For counties like Leitrim and towns like

Ballinmore, all-Ireland cooperation is key to economic development and

job creation.

 

For the republicans of Leitrim, I would say that if you wish to ensure

John Joe McGirl’s legacy is maintained and built upon you need to build

and organise Sinn Féin throughout this county and increase the party’s

representation at all levels.

 

That is the path John Joe set us on 60 years ago. It is a path which

offers a peaceful and democratic way to a United Ireland.

 

There are Local and European elections next year. This provides a real

opportunity to increase the Sinn Fein representation on Leitrim County

council and to elect a Sinn Féin MEP in the north west constituency.

 

I would call on the people of Ballinamore and of Leitrim to get behind

the Sinn Féin EU candidate Matt Carthy. It’s time to put a voice into

Europe that will stand up for the ordinary people of this region.

 

In 1957 at the gravesides of those killed at Edentubber, John Joe McGirl

said “The tragedy which brought to a sudden end the lives of five great

Irishmen is a tragedy of the Irish nation, the tragedy of an Ireland

that is unfree and divided. These men came from the North and the South

to join together to end the tragedy of our nation and her people.’

 

This generation of Irish Republicans have ended the conflict, we have

put in place a political process and strategy which can end partition,

division and inequality.

 

We need to always move ahead along that road. I believe that we are up

to the task. We have an opportunity to realise the objective for which

John Joe dedicated his life.

 

A united, independent Irish Republic is not rhetoric for us, it is a

real and live political project which, if we are prepared to work hard

and win even more people to our objective, will be achieved. That is a

responsibility we all share.

 

Go raibh maith against go léir.

A conviction against veteran Republican Marian McGlinchey (Price) has been rescinded by a court,

Posted by Jim on August 20, 2013

 

A conviction against veteran Republican Marian McGlinchey has been rescinded by a court, 24 hours after she was found guilty of two charges against her which arose out of a protest in Belfast over three years ago.

 

The 59 year old Republican had been charged with resisting and impeding police after a white-line protest in the New Lodge area of the city on July 10, 2010.

McGlinchey who’s also known as Marian Price wasn’t at Belfast Magistrate’s Court for yesterday’s short hearing and she was convicted in her absence.

But on Tuesday her lawyer Peter Corrigan presented a new medical report about McGlinchey which said she wouldn’t have been well enough to give evidence on her own behalf and he urged District Judge Fiona Bagnall to set aside yesterday’s conviction.

The case was adjourned for four weeks and the judge said she would try to facilitate McGlinchey’s medical condition so that there would be short breaks during the hearing.

McGlinchey served a jail sentence along with her late sister Dolours Price for the 1973 IRA bomb attack on the Old Bailey in London.

Her licence was revoked in 2011 and she spent two years in custody before she was finally released earlier this year.

Veteran Republican Marian McGlinchey Price has been convicted of two charges arising out of a republican protest in Belfast over three years ago.

Posted by Jim on August 19, 2013

Marian Price convicted on protest charges
Marian Price did not appear in court on Monday. (© Pacemaker)
 

The 59-year-old was accused of resisting and obstructing police after a white-line protest in the New Lodge area of the city on 10 July, 2010.

McGlinchey, who is also known as Marian Price was not at Belfast Magistrate’s Court on Monday, for the brief hearing.

Her lawyer said that she had been excused because of long-standing medical problems.

The case was adjourned until 2 September. At an earlier hearing, it was said that McGlinchey had no fixed address.

McGlinchey served a jail sentence along with her late sister Dolours Price for the 1973 IRA bomb attack on the Old Bailey in London.

Her licence was revoked in 2011 and she spent two years in custody before she was finally released earlier this year.

Boston’s undocumented Irish advocate for comprehensive immigration bill

Posted by Jim on August 18, 2013

Push continues for bill that will grant a path to U.S. citizenship

By

IrishCentral Staff Writers,

 

Boston’s undocumented Irish immigrants continue to push for a comprehensive immigration bill that will grant a path to citizenship for the estimated 10,000 Irish immigrants in the city, despite the House Republicans rejection of a comprehensive immigration reform bill in July.

“We’ve sent busloads of Irish to Washington,” said Kieran O’Sullivan, immigration and citizenship advisor at Dorchester’s Irish Pastoral Center, told WGBH News.

O’Sullivan added that the Irish may help to bridge the gap of the “us versus them” mentality towards Hispanic immigrants in the immigration debate, and that for the Irish, being white, native English speakers removes many of the barriers to cultural assimilation that other immigrants often encounter.

Boston-based, Irish immigration advocacy groups such as IPC and the Irish International Immigration Center are joining forces under Massachusetts Immigration and Refugee Advocacy Coalition to advocate for immigration reform.

One of the highest Irish-concentrated cities in the nation, Boston has an estimated 16 percent of its citizens claiming Irish ancestry.

Congress passed a series of visa programs that eased the path to citizenship for Irish immigrants in the 1980s and 90s. According to Sullivan, many of these Irish immigrants arrived in Boston on a student, visitor, or temporary work visa and overstayed their visas after finding work as nannies, bartenders or laborers and they risk deportation if they leave the United States and attempt re-entry.

Hugh Meehan, chairman for the Irish Lobby for Immigration Reform, told WGBH News that there are an estimated 50,000 undocumented Irish immigrants living in the U.S.

“Immigrants are not going anywhere – what we need to do is document the people that are here,” Meehan said.

Meehan said they have gained the support of several conservative lawmakers, including Massachusetts Sen. Scott Brown, who proposed legislation that would grant 10,500 special work visas for Irish immigrants.

Irish International Immigrant Center executive director Ronnie Millar said that Irish American politician feel a close connection to their Irish roots.

“When all of these politicians, like Joe Biden or Representative Richard Neal, hear this rally call – especially from Irish organizations- it really resonates. We may not have numbers, but I think it’s important that the Irish continue our influence.

“This is an opportunity for immigrants of all backgrounds. Now, we say that with an Irish accent, but we say it loud and clearly.”