Posted by Jim on February 13, 2016
British Direct Ruler Theresa Villiers has been condemned by the
families of victims of the conflict after she accused them of a
“pernicious narrative” in alleging Crown force collusion and state
killings.
In an attempt to address widespread concern over Britain’s continuing
cover-ups over its ‘Dirty War’ in the North, and most recently the
Shankill Road bomb in 1993, Ms Villiers went on the offensive.
“It wasn’t the RUC [police] or the [British] Army who planted the bombs
at La Mon, Enniskillen, or the Shankill, or pulled the triggers at
Loughinisland or Greysteel,” she declared in a keynote speech on legacy
issues at the Ulster University.
While her government continues to refuse to release documents that
would prove or disprove collusion, citing ‘national security’, she
claimed there had been a disproportionate focus placed on the actions
of the RUC and British Army.
Villiers claimed that the British State was involved in only ten per
cent of the deaths in the conflict, and that the Crown forces had
“saved hundreds of lives”. She rejected claims of “endemic” Crown force
“misconduct”.
Her remark on the Loughinisland massacre particularly dismayed the
families of those victims, as a report by the Police Ombudsman is to be
released shortly.
Emma Rogan, whose father Adrian was one of the six men killed in the
pub shooting while watching a soccer match, said there were questions
to be answered about the weapons used in the attack, the role of state
agents, as well as the police investigation.
Her lawyer, Niall Murphy of KRW Law, said that to make such an
intervention prior to the publication of the ombudsman’s report “calls
into question the judgement of Ms Villiers”.
Sinn Fein Assembly member Chris Hazzard called on Villiers to apologise
to the Loughinisland families.
He pointed out that the assault rifles used in the attack were from a
consignment of weapons brought in by British Military Intelligence and
its agent Brian Nelson, and there was strong evidence that the
involvement of two state agents had been covered up.
“This is a total insult by the British government to the victims and
their families,” he said.
“Maybe Ms Villiers should read some of the files the British government
refuse to disclose to learn what happened at Loughinisland or indeed
actually meet with the families who have lost their loved ones.”
East Derry Assembly member John Dallat of the SDLP accused Villiers of
“rewriting history” by failing to acknowledge the role of the Crown
Forces in the various atrocities. His colleague Mark Durkan MP said
Villiers was attempting to ‘airbrush’ the responsibility and liability
of the British state and forces acting in its name.
Sinn Fein’s Declan Kearney said Villiers’ latest speech had “deepened,
not lessened” the impasse on dealing with the past.
“The fact is that the British state has tried to absolve and distance
the actions of its forces and agents from having any responsibility for
the conflict, and the suffering experienced by all sides.
“Lifting a block on information about the actions of state forces and
agents over 40, 30 or 20 years ago poses no threat to British national
security by any definition.
“There is no actual or arguable way in which disclosure about the
involvement of British soldiers in the Ballymurphy Massacre; the role
of unionist paramilitary state agents in the Dublin/Monaghan bombings;
or the assassination of Pat Finucane by unionist state agents could
undermine British national security in the present-day geopolitical
context.
“Margaret Thatcher personally approved and presided over numerous
state-sanctioned assassinations. The national security pretext is about
trying to keep the focus of information disclosure away from Downing
Street, and the most senior levels of British state decision making.”
Posted by Jim on February 11, 2016
James O’Shea @irishcentral
The Notre Dame-made documentary entitled “1916,” a three-part series on the Easter Rising narrated by Liam Neeson, has gotten off to a splendid start on Irish television. Critics are raving about the Irish American production.
Irish Times critic Bernice Harrison called it a “landmark” series and stated, “its landmark TV status is further burnished by Liam Neeson as voiceover and a full-blooded, atmospheric soundtrack from Patrick Cassidy.”
She continued, “’1916′ is clearly a big budget project: locations mentioned in the credits range from Berlin to India, France to the US. While no documentary about an historical event can be viewed as definitive – not least because as an academic discipline, history studies is built on historians contradicting each other – ‘1916’ succeeds superbly on two fronts: it is lucid, accessible storytelling that creates a vivid and vibrant image of the time; and its editorial viewpoint, that the Rising must be seen in an international context, is a convincing and appealing one.”
The series has already been snapped up by a record 155 public television stations across the US and in countries around the world where the Irish diaspora is spread. It will be shown around St. Patrick’s Day or Easter, the 100th anniversary, across the United States and Canada. The BBC has also picked it up.
The series was funded to the tune of $3 million by the Keough-Naughton Institute, named after the late American Irish philanthropist and Coca-Cola president Don Keough and Irish businessman Martin Naughton of Glen Dimplex. It was overseen by Briona Nic Dhiarmada, an Irish filmmaker who is a visiting professor at Notre Dame.
Harrison notes, “’1916′ is directed by Ruán Magan and is a well-constructed, thoroughly researched project with many historians on camera. Its key strength is the way it skilfully condenses historical events without leaving the viewer feeling short-changed or confused.
“The contention is that a rebellion was not inevitable on that particular day in Easter week, but it was bound to come, because of the history of oppression but also because of the mood internationally at the start of the 20th century. The fight for Irish independence, it effectively suggests, was a reaction to the spread of the British Empire, a wartime enhanced understanding of nationhood and a rising class consciousness. The film also sees echoes of the American War of Independence and the French Revolution in the Rising. Comparisons are made with the language in the Proclamation and the US constitution noting the emphasis on equal rights, opportunities, and happiness.”
She quotes Liam Neeson, “In time the Rising would inspire freedom movements around the world.” There’s not much room in ‘1916’ for those revisionist ideas that the Easter week rebels were a small bunch of blood-sacrifice terrorists with no popular mandate, who wreaked havoc on O’Connell Street and wasted lives.”
As a result of the global perspective Irish America, especially the role of John Devoy, is much more widely covered as is Roger Casement, who during his colonial career witnessed horrific abuse of natives in the Congo.
The Notre Dame production “is that rare thing: a thoroughly engaging history lesson,” concludes Harrison
Posted by Jim on February 9, 2016
Questions to the Board of the NYC St. Patrick’s Day Parade
Concerned Members of the Affiliated Organizations of the NYC St. Patrick’s Day Parade
Feb 9, 2016 — In the spirit of St. Patrick, the Concerned Members of the Affiliated Organizations (“CMAO”) thanks Dr. Lahey for visiting with the various Affiliated Organizations regarding the current controversies surrounding the Parade. We had hoped that Dr. Lahey would use these visits to listen and reflect on the questions and concerns about the Parade from the people whom he himself described as “the heart and soul of the parade.” It is with great sadness and regret that we must report that rather than embracing this opportunity; he has chosen to engage in self-justification and not dialogue.
We reluctantly feel obliged to inform the Affiliated Organizations of what has been seen and experienced by the members of the various organizations over the past several weeks as we have attended a number of meetings at which Dr. Lahey has made numerous contradictory statements which have unfortunately raised more questions than answers. We wish to share with you some unresolved questions:
WHY does Dr. Lahey say, on the one hand, that he recognizes John Tully as “the elected Chairman of the Parade Committee,” but at a different meeting say that he does not recognize the duly elected Parade Committee, nor the right of Affiliated Organizations to vote for anyone other than candidates preapproved by the Board?
WHY does Dr. Lahey say that “the Board will not recognize the Parade Committee” since the Board has not met since September of 2015, well before the election of the Grand Marshall? Does Dr. Lahey’s position reflect a formal position of the entire Board, or does it reflect his personal opinion?
WHY has Dr. Lahey APPOINTED a Special Executive Committee led by Hilary Beirne and Frank McGreal to run the 2016 Parade when the duly elected Parade Committee has consistently offered their services?
WHY does Dr. Lahey not seem to know who is in charge of the Formation Committee, since he declared at one meeting that Hillary Beirne was in charge, but on the same day a letter was issued, signed by Dr. Leahey and “Mr. Reilly Dondon, Formation Chairman”, announcing a Delegates meeting?
WHY has there been no money for Parade Committee scholarships for the past two years, when the Board has seen fit to pay more than $17,000 for a reception at the NY Athletic Club?
WHY is a Quinnipiac University public relations person listed as the contact person in the press package issued at the formal announcement of the Grand Marshall?
WHY is the duly elected Parade Committee not listed on the Parade Corporation letterhead or website?
WHY did the Board list members of the Parade Committee and several other individuals on a fundraising appeal letter as members of the Journal Committee without their approval or any prior notice?
WHY are there THREE members on the Board who are not eligible to serve, according to the requirements for membership put forth in the Parade Corporation By-Laws?
WHY is the Parade Corporation spending money on a very public lawsuit, rather than trying to preserve money and resolve disputes quietly and personally?
WHY is the Parade Corporation locked into a 3-year contract with NBC, costing $525,000 in broadcasting fees to NBC and $600,000 in production costs, without having opened the television contract up to a public bidding process?
WHY is the Parade paying NBC, rather than being paid for the privilege of letting NBC broadcast the parade and deriving their own revenues?
WHY has there only been one meeting of the Affiliated Organizations this year, when by this time in past years there would have been several?
WHY did Hilary Beirne submit a letter to the Attorney General of New York, apparently without Dr. Lahey’s prior knowledge or approval (according to Dr. Lahey), while at the same time he was saying publicly that he wanted to avoid government interference?
It should be clear that the concerns being raised are less about the personalities of any one individual, than they are about preserving and strengthening the voice of the Affiliated Organizations. We reject the idea of a limited Board of self-perpetuating individuals who have no obligation to listen to the democratically-elected representatives of the people who make up the Parade.
We have great respect and admiration for Senator Mitchell, and none of our questions should be in any way interpreted as aimed at the Grand Marshal. In fact, that some groups are participating in the Parade at all is largely due to his presence. But many groups who would normally sponsor tables and ads in the journal have declined to do so this year, in silent protest of the actions of the Board. If the Board refuses to acknowledge the elected representatives of the Affiliated Organizations, then the Affiliated Organizations quite reasonably are asking why they should support the Board.
We have a concern that the Board is no longer working for the good of the parade.
These are only some of the many questions raised by many people who are concerned about the Parade. The Affiliated Organizations have been unable to get satisfactory answers. We encourage all who are involved in the St. Patrick’s Day Parade to continue to ask questions – in public meetings, by writing to newspapers and individuals concerned, including the Parade leaders, the Cardinal, and anyone whose voice should be heard. Make your own voices and feelings known in your local and county and state groups, and in any conversation between now and March 17.
God bless your efforts, and may St. Patrick continue to bless and protect his parade and his people.
Posted by Jim on
The New York State Board of the Ancient Order of Hibernians
Invite You To
Wolfe Tone’s Irish Pub & Kitchen
37 East 29th Street (between Park and Madison Avenues)
to attend the
Freedom for All Ireland Christmas Appeal Fundraiser
Wednesday, February 10th 2016 from 6-9 p.m.
Guest Speakers, Raffles and Entertainment
$25 Donation Per Person
For Information Contact:
Ciaran Geraghty, NYS FFAI Chairman (cgeraght@nycap.rr.com)
Posted by Jim on February 6, 2016
A row has broken out among republicans in Belfast over the impact of
infiltration by informers in the aftermath of the apparent exposure of
another highly-placed double agent within the Provisional IRA.
The row began when former Sinn Fein director of publicity Danny Morrison
unexpectedly claimed that double agent Freddie Scappaticci was stood
down from the organisation in 1990 under suspicion that he was an
informer, long before many of the killings which he has been accused of
being involved in.
In a blog post, he sought to play down the damage done to the IRA by the
agent known as ‘Stakeknife’. He said that while the directing of
informers at a high level by the British government had been “immoral”
and had caused “ordinary suffering and long-lasting grief”, it had
“never deflected the course of Irish history”
He said he did not believe allegations about Scappaticci’s activities in
the 1990s and his alleged involvement in the arrest and interrogations
of suspected informers, or telling relatives about the killings of their
loved ones.
“I do not believe this to be true,” he wrote. “The IRA told me that
Scappaticci was redundant after 7th January 1990.”
The new claims by the former Sinn Fein spokesman contrast sharply with
the previous statements of party figures, including Morrison himself,
who expressed doubt about the allegations against Scappaticci when they
surfaced in 2003. They came just days after the PSNI said they plans to
bring an outside police force in to investigate the activities of
‘Stakeknife’.
But a former IRA prisoner, once jailed alongside Morrison, has disputed
the claims.
Gerard Hodgins said the first he knew Scappaticci was a British agent
was when he was outed in the media in 2003.
Mr Hodgins said; “There was never any word sent in to the prison that
Scap had been stood down and never any suggestion he’d been the informer
in our case.
“When the news about Scap did eventually break I read it in the paper
like everyone else, it was a bit of a relief to finally know because I’d
always been sure that there was at least one informer involved.
“I’ve no idea why these claims are only surfacing now, but you can be
sure someone, somewhere has decided it would be politically advantageous
to claim Scap was out of the loop by 1990,” he added.
Amid claims that up to twenty IRA figures were exposed as agents by the
papers taken from Castlereagh, Sinn Fein has come under pressure to
reveal what the party knows about the level of penetration of the
republican movement by informers.
Scappaticci is reported to be living in England under a false identity.
Although the PSNI have said he is to be investigated for his alleged
role in more than two dozen killings, he has never been arrested. Last
Friday a court heard claims by the authorities that there was no money
to fund the investigation.
Kevin Winters who represents a number of families, including that of
Caroline Moreland, allegedly killed by Scappaticci in 1994 amid
accusations she was an informer, said the families are frustrated by the
delays and excuses.
“We will be back in the High Court in February as part of the challenge
taken by the family of Caroline Moreland at which time we expect details
of what steps have been taken to resource a fully independent
investigation”, Mr Winters said.