Posted by Jim on February 27, 2016
https://www.facebook.com/events/174420502934617/
Osclóidh Uachtarán Chonradh na Gaeilge, Cóilín Ó Cearbhaill craobh úr den Chonradh ag Rocky Sullivan’s, oíche Aoine, 4ú Márta. Bígí linn agus glacaigí páirt in obair an Chonartha!
8:30 i.n., Oíche hAoine, 4ú Márta, 2016,
Gaelic League President Cóilín Ó Cearbhaill will open a new branch of the League at Rocky Sullivan’s on Friday night, March 4th. Join us and take part in the work of the League!
8:30 p.m., Friday night, March 4th, 2016
https://www.facebook.com/CumannUiCheirigh
http://www.rockysullivansredhook.com
https://cnag.ie
Posted by Jim on February 25, 2016
Concerned Members of the Affiliated Organizations of the NYC St. Patrick’s Day Parade
Feb 24, 2016 — The Concerned Members of the Affiliated Organizations began this past fall with a petition protesting bylaw changes to the New York St. Patrick’s Day parade. The proposed changes would have replaced the elected voice of the Affiliated Organizations with an “executive committee” accountable to an unelected board, and removed from the mission statement of the parade that it is to honor St. Patrick as Patron Saint of the Archdiocese of New York. Members of the Affiliated Organizations were, and still are, concerned that this signaled the intention of Dr. Lahey and the board to transform this venerable celebration of faith and heritage into a green-tinged politically correct Mardi Gras in order to placate government officials and sponsors.
Chairman Dr. Lahey has been adamant since our petition garnered over 5,000 signatures, and has repeated numerous times, that it is not the board’s intention to deprecate St. Patrick and the Archdiocese in the parade. He characterized this claim as “misinformation”, despite the fact that removing the name of St. Patrick is documented on a written agenda. The CMAO believes that actions carry more weight than words.
We sadly note that at the recent Grand Marshal Reception, an event second only to the Parade itself in importance, and despite the fact that there were numerous Chaplains in attendance, there was no invocation nor other formal recognition of the Patron Saint who is the reason for the parade. Despite many empty seats at the reception, there seemed to be no room for the Apostle of Ireland.
As exiled children of Ireland, born of famine and anti-Catholic sentiment, we are concerned. If there is no room for a Catholic recognition of God’s blessings or a faithful recognition of St. Patrick at the Grand Marshal’s reception, then we believe our concerns regarding St. Patrick’s future presence in the parade that bears his name seem warranted. We are gravely distressed that the statements and assurances of Dr. Lahey and the Board are continually contradicted by their actions.
Posted by Jim on February 23, 2016
Speaking at a press conference in Dublin this morning Sinn Féin MLA Martin McGuinness has said;
“The last week has seen Fine Gael resort to the politics of fear, Sinn Féin are for the politics of hope. Next Friday, the people will have the opportunity to change things for the better, and Sinn Féin want to be part of that change.”
Martin McGuinness said:
“For the first time, in all our lifetimes, we have the opportunity to have Sinn Féin in government north and south. Governments that will stand up for equality. Governments that will deliver a fair recovery. Governments with a plan for unity and reconciliation. Governments with a plan to sustain the peace process. Governments that will act in the national interest.
“The events of last year showed just how important it is to have a government acting in the national interest. During critical talks, the leader of Fine Gael reduced his role to that of a by-stander and the Fianna Fáil leader intervened to call for the suspension of the institutions. This was highly reckless and clearly done for short term political opportunism. The peace process is far too important for that to happen ever again.
“We are now delivering on the Fresh Start agreement and making progress. We need to do more.
“The electorate now has the choice. Do they stick with the parties of boom, bust and broken promises or seize this moment in time, to elect a progressive republican government.
“Sinn Féin has a plan to deliver a fair recovery, we have demonstrated in the north that Sinn Féin in government secures public services and delivers jobs.
“Fine Gael might be into the politics of fear, we are for the politics of hope.
“On Friday, the people of this state have the opportunity to change it for the better, and Sinn Féin will be part of that change.”
Posted by Jim on
In a statement issued on the 22 of February 2016, Sinn Féin Poblachtach National PRO, Seán Ó Dubhláin commented on the harassment RSF members had to face as they left a republican ballad night in Dublin;
“Republican Sinn Féin wish to bring to attention the harassment of our members after their successful ballad night held on Saturday 20, 2016 in Dublin.
Whilst leaving the premises of the function four members of RSF were subject to the usual special branch harassment, names and addresses were taken by two heavily armed members of An Garda Síochana who had nothing better to be doing with tax payers money than to sit outside a bar all night trying to intimidate people for their political believes.
All members gave names and addresses in Irish, one member refused to speak any English as is his right, the Gardaí who could barely speak any Irish became quite aggressive and threatened arrest before the scenario was eventually defused. This hostility towards the Irish language from the Gardaí and Political Police of the Special Branch is typical of the rotten neo-colonial imperialist state we live in. These Special Branch officers later quickly drove off when supporters and members of RSF came on the scene and challenged them as to why they were harassing peaceful republicans.
Back in April 2015, a member of Republican Sinn Féin in the midlands gave his name and address in Irish, it was demanded in English, when this was refused the Garda became aggressive and our member was arrested, he was later released once the Free State police confirmed his identity.
Republican Sinn Féin will not be intimidated by this harassment, we will continue to promote the traditional republican message in defiance of imperialism, one hundred years since the Rising of ’16 it is a disgrace that such bigotry exists in a so-called Irish state against the Irish language, the very core and soul of our nation.”
Posted by Jim on February 22, 2016