subscribe to the RSS Feed

Monday, August 17, 2026

US Secret Service apologizes to Gerry Adams over White House ban

Posted by Jim on March 17, 2016

by Frances Mulraney

 

Sinn Féin President Gerry Adams was held from the White House St. Patrick's Day event on Tuesday by US Secret Service because of an administrative error.

The US Secret Service apologized to Sinn Féin President Gerry Adams yesterday for denying him entry to the annual official St. Patrick’s Day celebration at the White House. The story was first reported by Irish Central.

 
 A spokesman for the Secret Service, Robert K.Hobak,  apologized during an interview with The New York Times saying it was an unfortunate administrative error.

Sinn Fein personnel however suspected there were other forces involved in blocking Adams entering the White House which he  has visited 22 times. Leaders in Congress penned an angry letter to White House Chief of Staff Denis McDonough over the incident.

Adams had earlier declared the delays in allowing him into Tuesday’s St. Patrick’s Day celebrations as an “unacceptable development.”

 

The Irish political leader commented on the events of Tuesday evening which saw him left waiting for 90 minutes, awaiting entry into the annual event hosted by President Obama. In an official statement on Sinn Féin’s website Adams voiced his disappointment in the manner in which he was treated by White House staff.

“I had received my usual invitation to attend the St. Patrick’s Day celebrations in the White House and was pleased to accept,” Adams said.

“When I arrived the staff at the White House informed me that there was an issue of ‘security.’

“After two decades of travelling back and forth to the USA and countless meetings in the White House with successive US Presidents, this is an unacceptable development.”

The US Security Service has since apologized for the delays, stating that an administrative error caused the issue.

“The Secret Service would like to express our regret that the issue involving Mr Gerry Adams’ entry into the St. Patrick’s Day reception could not be resolved in a more timely manner,” a spokesperson said.

“Unfortunately, an administrative input error received by the Secret Service was not able to be rectified promptly.”

Adams’ exclusion from the event left many Irish American leaders baffled. Members of the Friends of Ireland caucus in the House of Representatives addressed a letter to Chief of Staff Denis McDonough expressing their outrage that Adams was denied entry to the reception.

Signed by members of congress including Richard E. Neal, Peter King, Brendan Boyle, Joe Crowley, and James P. McGovern, the letter stated: “For more than three decades, the United States government has continuously encouraged the political parties in Northern Ireland to take risks for peace. But instead of being rewarded for their efforts, many members of Sinn Fein are now being punished. This unfortunate behavior seems to be happening with increasing regularity.”

Credit: Friends of Ireland Caucus

Credit: Friends of Ireland Caucus

Irish-American Democratic congressman Brendan Boyle, who also signed the letter, told The Irish Times that the incident was greatly discussed when the Friends of Ireland caucus met with Adams on Wednesday morning.

“A group of us were anywhere from annoyed about it to pretty angry about it, and we intend to raise it with the White House,” he said.

Boyle believed that the delay was either “a very embarrassing bureaucratic snafu or is there something more sinister going on.”

The official letter from the Friends of Ireland reinforced this belief that Sinn Féin politicians, in particular, are being isolated because of their political affiliations.

“After years of conflict, Northern Ireland is now seen as a society in transformation, and the negotiations that led to the power sharing institutions in Belfast are now seen as a model of successful conflict resolution across the globe,” the letter continued.

“Despite this progress, representatives of Sinn Féin continue to experience extraordinary difficulties when travelling to the United States, and we believe that many of these individuals are being victimized because of their party affiliation. While raised with administration officials repeatedly, the situation is going from bad to worse.”

“He [Adams] was invited to his [Obama’s] home and all of a sudden was excluded and frankly I can’t understand it,” commented celebrated Irish American lawyer and lobbyist for immigration rights, Brian O’Dwyer.

“I’m outraged in a sense that Gerry Adams has for years and years worked diligently for peace in Northern Ireland and the intentionality of reversing the hard work a number of Irish Americans have put into the peace process in terms of ensuring that all parties were welcomed and play a part in the process so that a process that’s always fragile could be sustained, can only be described as an intense act of incompetence.”

Adams, a newly re-elected TD for County Louth, planned to attend the annual presentation of the shamrock to the US President in Washington D.C., held two days early this year on March 15 as caretaker Taoiseach Enda Kenny must attend a meeting in Brussels on March 17, along with North Ireland Deputy First Minister Martin McGuinness and Sinn Féin Vice-President Mary-Lou McDonald, both of whom were allowed into the event.

 

Adams, however, was halted as he tried to gain entry and forced to wait for almost an hour and a half because of apparent security concerns. Whereas McGuinness and McDonald continued into the party, Adams was asked to step aside by security personnel as they inspected his documents.

On hearing that Obama had begun to speak at the event, Adams made the decision to wait no longer and left.

The Sinn Féin President stated yesterday he believes the refusal to allow him entry to one of the most important events in the Irish calendar in the US was an attempt to set Sinn Féin aside from other Irish political parties.

“It is obvious that there remain some within the US administration who seek to treat Sinn Féin differently,” he said.

“Some of our political representatives have been denied access to the USA while others, including myself, have to regularly go through additional searches and scrutiny when we travel to and from the USA.”

Irish American lawyer Brian O’Dwyer also believes that the slight showed a lack of respect for Adams. “It makes no sense. I can’t understand. He’s the leader of an Irish political party and it’s insulting,” he said.

“Obviously somebody needs to apologize. If someone was invited into my home and was treated that way I would pick up the phone and apologize to them.

“He’s a politician and the leader of the second largest party in Northern Ireland and the third largest party in the South and deserves to be treated with great respect.”

Adams yesterday tweeted images of his White House invitation and the letter confirming his attendance before releasing his official statement.

 

He also stated that the refusal tactic had been previously used in the US in an attempt to influence Sinn Féin, in particular, during the Stormont crisis last year when the State Department initially refused to meet with him.

“Last year the State Department initially refused to meet me as part of a transparent effort to pressurise Sinn Féin during negotiations at Stormont,” Adams continued.

“That meeting did take place after protests from US political leaders. Efforts to pressurise us in the negotiations failed.”

Congressman Boyle also agrees that the State Department has become harsher in recent years in their dealings with the Sinn Féin leader.

“It is odd that here is this wonderful event – very inclusive, everyone’s welcome, a chance to celebrate everything that’s been achieved over the last two decades,” he told The Irish Times, “and now you are going to have Gerry Adams who is invited as a guest, to stand outside for an hour and a half because security won’t let him in. It’s embarrassing.”

Adams has not met with any further delays in the US following Tuesday evening. On Tuesday morning he attended a lunch with Speaker Paul Ryan, following an appearance at the Brehon Law Society Dinner in New York on Monday evening.

 

Adams said: “This morning [Wednesday, March 16] Martin McGuinness, Mary Lou McDonald and I met with the Congressional Friends of Ireland. They too shared our grave disappointment at the White House situation and expressed their determination to have this issue resolved.

“Sinn Fein will not sit at the back of the bus for anyone,” he concluded. “We are elected to represent citizens and we will do this. I am hopeful that the controversy around my White House invitation will help lead to a resolution of all these matters.”

Enjoying his last St. Patrick’s Day in office, Obama once again referenced his own Irish heritage in his St. Patrick’s Day address.

“This, of course, is one of my favorite events,” Obama said. “I get to welcome my people and the Obamas of Leinster are nothing if not welcoming.”

“Of course, for the Irish, home is everywhere and nowhere in the world is more everywhere than the United States. We are braided together in so many ways, America and Ireland.

“We have been for centuries, through history, through bloodline. We’ve waged war side by side, we’ve waged peace side by side.

“We are family and we are friends.”

Former St. Patrick’s Day Parade official accused of improperly spending company money cleared of wrongdoing

Posted by Jim on

The New York Attorney General's office has stopped investigating John Dunleavy, the former St. Patrick's Day Parade board chairman.

The New York Attorney General’s office has stopped investigating John Dunleavy, the former St. Patrick’s Day Parade board chairman.

Allegations of financial shenanigans by the ousted head of the St. Patrick’s Day Parade committee were dismissed Wednesday as a bunch of blarney.

The Attorney General’s office halted its probe of accusations against former board chairman John Dunleavy, who was charged last summer with spending company money for personal items, including a “male enhancement drug,” during a bitter struggle for control of the venerable parade.

In a November letter to the AG’s office, a parade official said an internal audit turned up roughly $24,000 in credit card charges over three years for trips that didn’t seem connected to the non-profit’s core mission.

NYC ST. PADDY’S DAY PARADE CHAIRMAN OUSTED FROM POST AMID DISPUTE OVER GAY MARCHERS

The trips involved Dunleavy, another former board member Mike Cassels and Carla Chadwick, a special assistant to Dunleavy.

Another $2,000 was spent by Dunleavy on “GRC Triverex, a male enhancement drug,” the letter said.

In three instances, there were duplicate reimbursements worth $1,700 — and a deeper review going back to 2010 revealed another $10,000 in “questionable charges” by Dunleavy, the letter said.

The missive was sent to the AG last summer when Dunleavy was being ousted from his decades-long perch within the St. Patrick’s Day Parade organization, a non-profit that coordinates the famous Fifth Ave. celebration every March 17.

Dunleavy, 77, had long opposed the inclusion of gay groups in New York’s world-famous St. Paddy’s parade.

Dunleavy was accused of spending company money for personal items, but the attorney general dismissed the allegations.

In June, the non-profit’s board voted to have Quinnipiac University president John Lahey take over as chairman of the nonprofit.

Lahey quickly moved to announce that LGBT members would be welcome in the historic parade.

Dunleavy remains a board member and is also a chairman emeritus.

But the internal battles haven’t ended — with Dunleavy charging that the allegations against him were an attempt to smear his name.

“From the beginning, we knew that these accusations were patently false,” Dunleavy’s attorney, Frank Young, said Wednesday, after receiving notice from the AG’s office that the probe was over.

Dunleavy’s supporters maintained that the mentions of the “male-enhancement drug” were only meant to embarrass him and that the travel expenses were legitimate trips to Washington, D.C. to visit with military officials on behalf of the parade.
Young said Dunleavy and the others were thrilled to have the good news in time to enjoy Thursday’s parade.

“They can proudly hold their heads up high as they celebrate and honor the glorious St. Patrick,” he added.

A number of marchers in the annual celebration of Irish culture plan on wearing buttons emblazoned with the slogan “Honor St. Patrick” in protest of Lahey’s position as chairman.

A spokesman for Lahey declined to comment.

Obama silent as Adams blasts White House insult

Posted by Jim on March 16, 2016

There has been no comment so far by the White House after an
extraordinary and hamfisted insult to Gerry Adams drew stinging
criticism from the Sinn Fein party leader and stunned Irish-American
political leaders.

Mr Adams hit out after being stopped from entering the White House for a
St Patrick’s Day celebrations event with President Obama last night.
Despite being invited, as he has for several years, Mr Adams was told
there was a “security issue” when he attempted to attend the annual
event at which the traditional bowl of shamrock is presented.

Mr Adams’s party colleagues, the Six County Deputy First Minister (and
former IRA commander) Martin McGuinness, and the party’s deputy leader
Mary Lou McDonald, were allowed to enter the celebrations. Mr Adams
waited for about 90 minutes before deciding to leave. He has described
the incident was “an unacceptable development”.

Invitations to White House events are only issued following the most
stringent security checks. This afternoon, Mr Adams tweeted a picture of
his invitation. The Sinn Fein President said that he had been invited to
the event and was pleased to accept.

“When I arrived the staff at the White House informed me there was an
issue of ‘security’,” he said.

“After two decades of travelling back and forth to the USA and countless
meetings in the White House with successive US Presidents, this is an
unacceptable development.

“It is obvious that there remain some within the US administration who
seek to treat Sinn Fein differently.”

Mr Adams added that Sinn Fein representatives had been denied entry or
had to go through extra searches when travelling to the USA, while the
State Department had also initially refused to meet him last year until
protests from Irish America.

“Last year the State Department initially refused to meet me as part of
a transparent effort to pressurise Sinn Fein during negotiations at
Stormont.

“That meeting did take place after protests from US political leaders.
Efforts to pressurise us in the negotiations failed.

“This morning Martin McGuinness, Mary Lou McDonald and I met with the
Congressional Friends of Ireland. They too shared our grave
disappointment at the White House situation and expressed their
determination to have this issue resolved.

“Sinn Fein will not sit at the back of the bus for anyone. We are
elected to represent citizens and we will do this. I am hopeful that the
controversy around my White House invitation will help lead to a
resolution of all these matters,” he added.

Leading US Congressional figures promised an immediate inquiry. Richie
Tranghese, key Irish staffer for Congressman Ritchie Neal, said the
refusal would be immediately challenged.

The GAA Champion Brooklyn Shamrocks Dinner Dance May 6, 2016, all welcome

Posted by Jim on March 11, 2016

Brooklyn Shamrocks Gfc's photo.
Brooklyn Shamrocks Gfc with Martin Rooney and 7 others.

ATTENTION! THE 2015 NEW YORK JUNIOR A CHAMPION BROOKLYN SHAMROCKS HAVE THEIR 2016 DINNER DANCE AT THE Bay Ridge Manor Brm ON FRIDAY MAY 6TH, 2015!

Kings County AOH/LAOH Night at the Races Fundraiser

Posted by Jim on

 

Saturday April 2, 2016

Location St Patrick’s Auditorium

401 97th Street, Brooklyn NY 11209 (Entrance is on 4th Avenue)

Doors open at 6:30 pm -First Race 7:30pm

 

Admission $20.00

Includes Food, Beer, Soda, Snacks

 

There will be Horse Bets- 50/50 Drawing- Raffles

Auctioning Horses $10.00-Name your horse________________

Sponsor a Race $100.00 ( send names for all horses in race)

You do not have to purchase a horse to attend

 

Please make check payable to AOH/LAOH( Contact Rose at 347-866-1848 or Steve Kiernan 917-886-8677)

All proceeds will go to support Catholic Education at

St Patrick Academy, St Anselm Academy,

Holy Angels Academy and St Ephrem School