subscribe to the RSS Feed

Thursday, August 20, 2026

Killed on Thatcher’s orders’

Posted by Jim on July 11, 2015

The families of three IRA Volunteers shot dead by the British Army’s SAS
in County Tyrone in 1988 are taking legal action against former Ulster
Unionist Ken Maginnis, the British government and the police chief
constable.

Brothers Gerard and Martin Harte died along with Brian Mullin when the
SAS fired on them near Drumnakilly.

The families have pointed to a recent television documentary as
confirmation that a ‘shoot-to-kill’ policy of targeted assassinations
was being operated at that time.

Maginnis, a former soldier of Ulster Defence Regiment, was among those
interviewed for the programme. He stated that he had identified the
Volunteers directly to the then British Prime Minister Margaret
Thatcher, and that the people he named ended up dead just over a week
later. He told the programme he was pleased with the killings.

“Of course I felt, thank God that’s the end of those fellows, they will
not be killing any more of my soldiers. And that’s war,” he said.

The families’ lawyer Peter Corrigan said “This is clearly a case where
the state at the highest level has ordered a shoot-to-kill policy
against our clients and we are taking a civil action. It’s clear from
the programme that the authorities have usurped the judicial process.

“Names were provided, no evidence was adduced, there was no trial
process, there was no charging and men were executed by the state on the
authority of the Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher.”

Ignatius Harte, a brother of two of the IRA men shot dead at
Drumnakilly, said his brothers had been lured into an ambush.

“It’s evident from what Ken Maginnis had to say that the orders came
from Thatcher herself that Gerard, Martin and Brian had to be taken out
at whatever cost.”

Leave a comment, and if you'd like your own picture to show up next to your comments, go get a gravatar!

You must be logged in to post a comment.

home | top