subscribe to the RSS Feed

Sunday, August 23, 2026

Loyalists attack republican event in Belfast

Posted by admin on September 3, 2012

 A commemoration for the Protestant republican Henry Joy McCracken, the  founder of the United Irishmen, was attacked by a loyalist mob this  evening, triggering a wave of rioting in north Belfast.

  It was the second time the annual event, organised by the Republican  Network for Unity (RNU) has been held.

  Last weekend, the PSNI police ignored a decision of the Parades  Commission ordering loyalist bands not to engaging in sectarian  provocation outside the Catholic St Patrick’s church, near the  nationalist Carrickhill area. A protest by nationalist residents was  attacked by loyalists amid ugly scenes which have fuelled tensions  throughout the week.

 The commemoration this evening passed through the nationalist New Lodge  and North Queen Street areas, before continuing past Carrickhill to  Clifton Street cemetery, where the Irish patriot is buried.

  While walking to the cemetery, participants came under a sustained  attack from loyalists, including well known figures from within the  paramilitary UVF, who had gathered from early morning.

  Marchers were showered with a barrage of bricks, stones, golf balls and  bottles. Several were badly injured, including children.

 Inexplicably, the PSNI had allowed the loyalist mob to gather within  metres of the agreed route, ensuring that an outbreak of violence was  inevitable.

  The RNU said only the efforts of its stewards prevented large-scale  hand-to-hand fighting after the mob were able to enter an apartment  complex beside the Clifton Street cemetery. Throughout the ceremony,  loyalists continued to attack those gathered and at one stage managed to  scale the walls. At one point, a small child who was carrying a wreath  was injured by a missile.

  The RNU blamed DUP Minister Nelson McCausland for bringing negative  publicity to the McCracken commemoration in comments he posted on the  internet during the week.

 “It is our opinion that this is what has motivated elements within the  Shankill UVF to organise today’s planned attack,” the group said. “By  contrast, last year’s parade passed off without incident.”

  “RNU state categorically that we were not to blame for today’s trouble;  we are an anti-sectarian organisation and were on our way to honour a  fine protestant Republican when we were attacked.

  “It is unfortunate that today’s trouble took place at all. We will do  all that we can to help ease any tensions in the area.”

  Local nationalist youths became involved in sporadic clashes which have  deteriorated into full-scale rioting tonight. Trouble is continuing at  the Carlisle Circus and Clifton St areas.

 The PSNI has deployed water-cannon to the area, but notably did not  manage to prevent loyalists attacking a nursing home for old age  pensioners at Carlisle Circus.

  Sinn Fein Assembly member Fra McCann said a petrol-bomb attack on the  home of a Catholic family earlier this evening was also linked to the  trouble.

 He said: “Only that the Housing Executive have put in place reinforced  glass, this attack would have been even worse. There are five children  who live in this house and this can only be described as attempted  murder by those responsible.”

  An Orange Hall in north Belfast was also reported to have been  vandalised during the disturbances.

 

Leave a comment, and if you'd like your own picture to show up next to your comments, go get a gravatar!

You must be logged in to post a comment.

home | top